Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default If you "can shoot more" via reloading, isn't that saving money?

I've often seen people say with reloading, that you don't actually save much money, but you can shoot more. I'm a tad confused by this. Doesn't the fact that with say 100 rounds of brass (assuming you can always get new ones if one can't be used) that can be reloaded at least five times (I often have heard people doing it far higher numbers) and your only cost is bullets, primers and powder mean you'll be saving money?

Now with primers you often get a 1000 for $34 bucks.
    With bullets say you use Kings Shooter Supplys and get 1000 .45 rounds for 70 bucks
    Now one pound of a Win powder yields around 1300 bullets for ~$20

So it's then $3.49 a 100 box from primers+
    $7 a 100 box of from bullets+
    $1.50 for 100 box from powder=

So $11.99 for 100 rounds of brass 45 acp. I mean one thing is I am ignoring the initial parts investment (it's called the Holidays :P) Still even assuming more initial brass. It seems like yes I can shoot more. But spending only 11.99 for 100 rounds of 45ACP is a huge savings. If I could spend a few hours every couple of days and shoot 500 rounds of 45 ACP for around 55 bucks a month, I know my wife will be happy and it seems like real savings to me, not just shooting more.

Does this make sense to anyone?
    Last edited by gfanikf; December 14th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: If you "can shoot more" via reloading, isn't that saving money?

Is this some kind of a riddle?

That's like saying, quitting smoking doesn't save you money because you'll just take that savings and spend it on something else.

So I would have to agree with you, reloading saves you money even if you use those savings to reload more and shoot more. I guess?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Is this some kind of a riddle?
    Not by intention. It's just I've seen people say you don't save money, you shoot more, which makes no sense to me. I wanted to see if I was missing something here, because it's never made any sense to me.

That's like saying, quitting smoking doesn't save you money because you'll just take that savings and spend it on something else.
    You know that is kind of what the

So I would have to agree with you, reloading saves you money even if you use those savings to reload more and shoot more. I guess?[/QUOTE]

Heck considering 100 rounds of 45 acp costs ~$33 for a WWB, spending only $12 bucks for the same amount means $21 bucks which could go to gas (which won't have increase use), meaning the money instead goes towards diapers, and I'm still getting to shoot the same amount as before.

(Montgomery County)

It really depends. Lot of people end up shooting more because the price of ammo drops for them.

I went from 350$ per 1000, to 105$ per 1000.

Reloading allows you to shoot the same amount of rounds for less money.

What a lot of people end up doing, is shooting more rounds for the same amount of money they were spending for factory ammo.

Since it looks like you are considering a single stage press.. Factor in time. If you were only shooting 100 rounds a month. It might take your about 2 hours to make 100 rounds on a single stage. For a lot of people that don't shoot enough, that 21$ savings isn't worth the time, or even the amount of time to recoup the costs of the reloading eq.
    Last edited by Pkspawn; December 14th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

(Monroe County)

It is a cost analysis question that compares two different cost structures.

The self loading cost structure consists of a fixed cost for the equipment plus the variable costs for the ammo components.

The store purchased cost includes only the cost per round.

What you'll find in comparing the two cost structures is that the self loading process will cost more per round to the point of break even. Past the point of break even the cost per round will be less than the store purchased ammo.

So, if you know upfront that you plan to use more ammo than the break even point you will pay less per round if you self load. However, if you plan to use less than the break even amount of ammo you will pay more per round self loading.

The best way to approach this from a cost efficiency standpoint is to calculate how many rounds it will take you to break even between the two methods. Then decide if you plan to ever shoot that much. If you do plan to shoot that much self loading will be less expensive on a per round basis.

Keep in mind, depending on the ammo caliber and self loading equipment purchased, it may take several years for you to shoot enough to hit the break even point

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    It really depends. Lot of people end up shooting more because the price of ammo drops for them.

I went from 350$ per 1000, to 105$ per 1000.

Reloading allows you to shoot the same amount of rounds for less money.

What a lot of people end up doing, is shooting more rounds for the same amount of money they were spending for factory ammo.

Since it looks like you are considering a single stage press.. Factor in time. If you were only shooting 100 rounds a month. It might take your about 2 hours to make 100 rounds on a single stage. For a lot of people that don't shoot enough, that 21$ savings isn't worth the time, or even the amount of time to recoup the costs of the reloading eq.
    Truthfully if I can just shoot more for the cost of what I pay now (or less) I'm fine with that. Heck, if I can get a hold of 500 brass rounds for each caliber I use (so I can shoot more at once). I'm fine with that too. Since if I shoot 250, I can still save the other 250 for when the first wear out. Meaning I can limit brass costs for a long time.

The best way to approach this from a cost efficiency standpoint is to calculate how many rounds it will take you to break even between the two methods. Then decide if you plan to ever shoot that much. If you do plan to shoot that much self loading will be less expensive on a per round basis.
    That may not be a bad idea (since I'm considering 9mm too). However, I am saying explicitly for cost consideration, I'm not counting the initial hardware cost of the equipment. Like I said it would essentially be a Holiday gift (which would have been spent on ammo or something else regardless).
    Last edited by gfanikf; December 14th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Reloading also has the advantages of working out the optimum powder load for accuracy and a mild recoil load for CQ competition.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Lackawanna County)

It depends on how much you shoot, and the cost of metals that particular day. I work as a chemical technician, and we use a lot of different metals, like silver, tin, and others, so I pay attention to the market, because the cost of metal directly affects my job.

The price of silver, copper, brass, and lead has been stable for awhile now, which is why the price of ammo has dropped a bit, retail-wise. Last year a box of 50 rounds of .45ACP WWB cost almost $30, but now it's less than $20. A box of 100 is now averaging around $35, more or less.

What does this mean? I think that if you reload, now is the time to start buying components in bulk, while prices are still good, and pay attention to the market. I've been considering getting my own reloading setup, after the holidays, just for .45ACP, and casting my own bullets. Hopefully, prices will hold long enough to buy in bulk.
    Last edited by mollymayhem82; December 14th, 2011 at 05:09 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post

A box of $100 is now averaging around $35, more or less.

Where can I purchase one of these boxes, and is there a limit on the number of boxes?!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Where can I purchase one of these boxes, and is there a limit on the number of boxes?!!?
    North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82
    What does this mean? I think that if you reload, now is the time to start buying components in bulk, while prices are still good, and pay attention to the market. I've been considering getting my own reloading setup, after the holidays, just for .45ACP, and casting my own bullets. Hopefully, prices will hold long enough to buy in bulk.
    Yeah, I figure even I go slow and don't really start till I move to a house with a garage...which by default will be "The Armory" (really I think I'm getting a sign made with that to hang up lol) the best thing to do might be get brass and maybe just do depriming and cleaning to practice.

Part of the issue is storing the powder and primers, since I lease and my dad (one of my bigger firearms supporters) doesn't want it stored around his soon to be granddaughter...I'm trying to get to be able to store it at my parents house. lol
    Last edited by gfanikf; December 14th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast