Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving to Newtown - Help me find a new home (range)

I'm moving to the Newtown area this weekend and would appreciate recommendations for a good range. I'm moving from Virginia where I shot at the NRA HQ Range, which is 50 yards, computerized, and allows all forms of firearms.
    I would like something similar although I may have been spoiled as I understand that the NRA range is fairly advanced and most indoor ranges aren't that long. I'm also looking for a range that has reasonable yearly membership rates as I would like to start going more often than I do now.

As of now, my only experience in PA has been shooting at Classic Pistol. All suggestions are appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Moving to Newtown - Help me find a new home (range)

May I humbly suggest you check out the Langhorne Rod & Gun Club at
    www.langhornerodandgunclub.com ,it's very close to Newtown,within a 5 min drive & has rifle ranges at 50,100 & 200 yds,pistol at 10 & 25 yd, a trap range,an archery range & an archery course,plus many events through the year. It is outside shooting if that's a problem for you though. Dues are $150 per year with 8 hrs of work time put in & you will need a sponsor as well Check it out & see if you like it & if it's for you.
    Jesus is Lord !

That looks great and is, indeed, very close. A few questions:

1. What are the hours (I didn't see any listed on the website)?
    2. How do I find a sponsor?
    3. Are you allowed to bring friends/family to shoot?

Thanks!

Never mind question 1, they are open from 9am to dusk.

(Bucks County)

Yes you can bring family & friends to shoot,you can have up to 2 guests at a time, family in your household are free,friends are only $5 . Finding a sponsor can be a little tricky if you don't already know someone as they take sponsoring someone fairly serious since a sponsor is held liable for the 1st year of membership the actions of the person you sponsor. Best way is to come to public events there & try to meet & make friends with members, get invited as a guest to shoot & show that you're safe & responsible,also only someone who's been a member for at least 3 years can be a sponsor
    Jesus is Lord !

Welcome to Newtown. We're practically neightbors, I'm on the other side of the creek.

LRGC is a great place but as mentioned, finding a sponsor is the trick. Keep an eye on the events schedule for public events. That's one way of getting known.

You have a few other options available in the meantime. Wicen's is a pay as you go outdoor range. I know they were talking about a regular membership idea but I don't know if it came to fruition. They require a range badge ($15) qaulification for rifle, handgun & Shotgun ($5 per) and $15 per day range fee. Their safety is top notch, the RSOs can be tough but so what? Do it right and there is no problem, do it wrong and learn.

Classic Pistol is the closest indoor and is a fine (by my estimates) range. They offer yearly memberships as well as pay as you go.

A bit further away is Clayton's. The range is less than a year old, the shop itself was created long ago. Both CP and Clayton's have knowledgable staff and are as safe as indoor with a bunch of strangers can be.

Ready, Aim, Fire is in Bristol. It's a bit further and offers yearly memberships. I haven't shot there in 5 years. I've heard good and bad.

And Finally there is Pistol People in Bensalem. Older range, cranky guy owns it. I say cranky but I mean it in a nice way. Steve doesn't suffer fools well....and is vocal about it. But one of the finest teachers I've seen. Memberships available.

A members only indoor club right on Street Road, Conastoga Gun Club. I have no idea how to join or prices. I've never been there.

A lot further up the road, about 45-60 minutes just this side of Quakertown is Paletown Gun Club. Again, I know little and have never been there.

Falls Gun Club isn't far but the waiting list is years. Or so I heard.

I'm sure I'm missing one or two, hopefully others will chime in to complete the list.

Where in VA? I'm well familar with the area around Quantico.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

LGRC is sounding more and more like the place to go. Others may view it as a pain, but I like the idea that you have to pitch in and work a bit every year. It probably results in a lot of respect for the facilities.

I moved from Arlington, so I was previously able to hit DC with a well aimed spit ball. I did live out in Manassas for a bit, but I'm not familiar with Quantico.
    Last edited by AcidResGambit; December 20th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

The only issue your going to run into with LRGC is finding a sponsor, it takes a little time for others to get to know you, especially when their ass is on the line for the behavior of their sponsoree. As for the work hours, I like doing my time. You get to know other members and it creates a vestment in the club. Hell, I have 7 more months to get in my 8 hours and I'm already past 20. Drop me a PM and let's get you over there as a guest so you can check it out. We'll get Steelerfan to join us. Just one simple rule. New guy has to catch the clays that get missed.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    The only issue your going to run into with LRGC is finding a sponsor, it takes a little time for others to get to know you, especially when their ass is on the line for the behavior of their sponsoree. As for the work hours, I like doing my time. You get to know other members and it creates a vestment in the club. Hell, I have 7 more months to get in my 8 hours and I'm already past 20. Drop me a PM and let's get you over there as a guest so you can check it out. We'll get Steelerfan to join us. Just one simple rule. New guy has to catch the clays that get missed.
    Absolutely ! I'm in ! I was going to suggest the very same thing anyway.
    Last edited by steelerfan; December 21st, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Jesus is Lord !

Thank you for the invite. PM sent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast