Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 3 Gun Shotgun

(Lehigh County)

Default 3 Gun Shotgun

What is a good, inexpensive shotgun to buy to start shooting and practicing for 3 gun competitions? Is it better to go with a shorter barrel for quick movement or a longer one for better accuracy? I'm just getting into shooting competitions and I need to buy some gear still. Any info would be helpful.
    Criminals LOVE gun control. It gives them a safe work enviroment.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 3 Gun Shotgun

I bought a Mossberg 930 SPX with the intention of getting into 3-gun. I bought a Choate +5 magazine extension that never really worked 100% so I traded it in for a Saiga 12. I like the idea of being able to reload with a magazine instead of speed loaders or one by one.
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Remington Tac 4, and Benelli semi-auto lineup.
    So, there's 4 shotguns that range anywhere between $450-1400. That should get you started in your research for a nice competition gun.

I also was gonna say the Mossberg 930. Best bang for the buck autoloader out IMO. Then theres also the S-12 but, we start jumping up the cost ladder and down time with conversion. FNH also came out with an SLP MK1 geared towards 3 gun comp.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...02&mid=FNM0202
    and to the dust you shall return

I love my Tac4 - Not really Cheap but comes ready to go. I have seen people buy cheaper shotguns and try adding tubes and have problems. Unless you want to shoot in open division in 3gun don't get S12.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...100-tac-4.aspx
    Tantric Shooting Team

How many does the Tac4 hold?
    and to the dust you shall return

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    How many does the Tac4 hold?
    it holds 8+1
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Westmoreland County)

Before you buy a shotgun, figure out what form of three gun is shot in your area and what you plan on shooting. There are different governing rules in affect, they range from really structured to shot what you brought. Different shotguns will put you in different classes. For example a Saiga will put in you in Open class for USPSA.

For me, I shoot USPSA Tactical class with a Winchester SX2 Practical (the same gun as the FN SLP). The shotgun was designed for practical shooting and comes ready to take to a match. I had a Bennelli Super 90 Tactical and hated the gun, it had a hard recoil and the magazine gate chewed up my thumb reloading. I also had an 1187 that was built up for three gun, it was better but nowhere in the same class as my Winchester.

The Winchester/FN gas system is the fasted cycling shotgun out there and the felt recoil is very noticeiably lighter than a Benelli.

You are going to spend over $900 for this model, but it will be ready to rock and roll at a match for either Limited or Tactical divisions.

If you want to shoot open, then either a built up Saiga or a FN with an Xrail is the way to go.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Monroe County)

I have shot some IDPA bassed 3 gun matches. I have shot them all with my Mossberg 500. I am able to hold my own at local competitions with it even running with the guys shooting semi autos. Transition time and reload time is what gets you. If the sights are not on the target you cant shoot it even thought the gun has already cycled for you... Nothing is more entertaining than watching someone try to load their big dollar semis on the clock when all they have ever done with them off the clock is tube dump after tube dump.

That being said. I also have a 930SPX that I will shoot once I have an AR up and running with some sort of optic. There are a few options for it out there that you can spend money on it if you want.

If you're strapped for cash a pump will work and you can still be competitive. But, semis are fun too.