Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Red face Questions on first handgun purchase/training

I've spent about a year lurking here and on similar forums familiarizing myself firearm-related laws, how to handle likely encounters etc. I believe I'm ready to pull the proverbial trigger on my first handgun. Before I do that, I figure it can't hurt to make a post welcoming feedback on my expected purchases and overall plan.

As it stands, I feel sold on a Ruger SP101 3" along with a holster and belt from Simply Rugged. I'd like to buy everything by January and seek training (my handgun experience is limited to BB/pellet/paintball guns -- childhood toys, basically). I intend to quasi-open carry until I'm comfortable enough to make the full transition.

I hope to begin carrying sometime next summerish, again mostly depending on comfort level. I suppose that will give me ample time attend a few training sessions and log some range time on my own. Is there anything wrong with my plan? Does anyone have suggestion for a private trainer in the Dallas/Wilkes-Barre area?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Questions on first handgun purchase/training

I see nothing wrong with your plan. Most people simply buy a gun, get a ltcf and go. The fact that you have been gathering information and will seek training is a great thing. I dont know of any instructors in your area but I would guess who ever runs your local ranges would know. They probably offer training themselves. You picked one of the strongest made revolvers out there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

(Allegheny County)

solid plan. I didnt do any research when i first bought a gun, just went out and bought something that didnt cost much, gun busted after 8 shots at the range lol. Besides, the sp101 is a great choice, looking to pick one up soon myself

(Lehigh County)

Not everyone will agree, but for one with no prior knowledge, as in, never fired before, even once, I'd suggest a revolver as a first choice, because of the simplicity and you can get used to it and don't have to worry about magazine's etc.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Not everyone will agree, but for one with no prior knowledge, as in, never fired before, even once, I'd suggest a revolver as a first choice, because of the simplicity and you can get used to it and don't have to worry about magazine's etc.
    Ruger SP101 as mentioned in the OP's post:

To the OP, I cannot suggest a trainer, but sometimes all you need is a friend with his/her head screwed on straight to get started for some tips.

Also, maybe think of getting a .22 pistol as well, much cheaper to shoot for plinking at the range.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, good luck.

(Washington County)

Everything sounds good, but curious why you want to open carry at the beginning?
    Open carry just draws attention

(Bucks County)

i don't see anything wrong with a revolver as your first firearm but i think you should find a range and rent a few guns first as well as take a gun safety class. what do you mean by quasi-open carry? you're either OC-ing or your not. i think you'd be better off getting your LTFC first before experiementing with OC.

(Mifflin County)

I went to
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx and searched for basic pistol classes in PA. Here's the first one I saw listed in Wilkes Barre. I'm sure a little searching will yield more results, or you could email the instructor and see if he offers more if you're looking for something different.

I'd second the suggestions of trying to shoot several guns before making a purchase. That gun that feels great in your hand at the shop may not seem as nice at the range. Better to find out before spending a couple hundred hard earned dollars. Also, in addition to being inexpensive to shoot, .22's make excellent trainers if you take it seriously and focus on the basics like grip, sight picture and trigger squeeze.

General Info Instructor Info
    Course Title NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
    Class Date & Time Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:00 AM
    Registration
    Close*Date Friday, December 16, 2011
    Cost $150.00
    Initial Deposit Required $50.00
    Address wilkes barre
    2400 east end blvd
    pennsylvania, PA * 18702
    US
    Ph: 845-866-2156
    Comments bring along with you a number two pencile and a note book .thank you see you then
    Name OSBERT WHEELER
    Phone 845-866-2156
    Email owheeler78@aol.com

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlerocker View Post
    Everything sounds good, but curious why you want to open carry at the beginning?
    Open carry just draws attention
    Because it seems like the most logical approach to carrying and I believe I'm ready to handle the average encounter (I'm sure the first one will prove that wrong, but you have to start somewhere I guess :P). This explains (and helped formed) my stance.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft
    what do you mean by quasi-open carry? you're either OC-ing or your not. i think you'd be better off getting your LTFC first before experiementing with OC.
    By quasi-open I mean I'll carry with a shirt partially covering the holster (but not entirely concealed) and I'll fully open carry soon after. That's probably a pointless baby step but I think it'll make the process easier. Who said I wasn't getting an LTCF ?

Thanks to the other suggestions -- especially about firing some handguns first. I'll see if I can make some arrangements to do that. It's something I've considered, but kind of blown off because I feel I'll still want the SP101. It can't hurt to try though, right?

(Erie County)

That was a great article to read. A little biased, but thanks for it. It's cc for me. oc Just draws too much attention n makes me uncomfortable. I'm in ur boat. I've shot but am looking for my first pistol. I'm aiming (no pun intended) for a Sig Sauer p250. I ike semi auto better personally.

I'm from Erie tho... Not wilkes barre