Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealers pricing

(Montgomery County)

Default Dealers pricing

Hey all you dealers out there. I am wondering if manufacturers out there give wholesale pricing to dealers. I am looking for something to do in my oodles of spare time and of course I LOVE guns. Is it worth the profit you make to go through the two pickup truck and one toyota trunk loads of paperwork to get licensed to make a little extra money? Otherwise it's back to school. Thanks for any info anyone has.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Dealers pricing

Go back to school!

(Montgomery County)

Now there was an intelligent informative reply......NOT. Thanks for your hospitality and kindness.

(Northampton County)

Sorry didn't have much time this morning.

Unless you have $$ to set yourself up as a real business and devote a good part of your life to the business find something else to do. Go work in a shop see if you like it. After the newness wears off , It's a job!

(Montgomery County)

Rich.....that was so much better. I appreciate you taking time to answer the question. It's not "newness" to me as I have been involved in firearms and ranges for as long as I can remember and love it. I know in this economy any business is a crap shoot anymore. Just never knew if there was enough of a profit margin to make the investment worthwhile. Thanks again for the advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TDMSRed View Post
    Rich.....that was so much better. I appreciate you taking time to answer the question. It's not "newness" to me as I have been involved in firearms and ranges for as long as I can remember and love it. I know in this economy any business is a crap shoot anymore. Just never knew if there was enough of a profit margin to make the investment worthwhile. Thanks again for the advice.
    Honestly the business has been beaten down to a 15% margin on firearms if that is all you want to do you will pay out more $$ than you make. or you can try overpricing your stuff and see where that gets you.

If I knew what I know now when I started this I would have not got in. But that is me and what I consider a business model. Some people like the gun show thing. But that to is hard work.

(Butler County)

Go to a gunshow and see the same tired faces selling the same tired merchandise. Or get a reality show making fantasy weapons for a fantasy clientele like bla, bla, bla! May niot make much more money but a lot more fun!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Go to a gunshow and see the same tired faces selling the same tired merchandise. Or get a reality show making fantasy weapons for a fantasy clientele like bla, bla, bla! May niot make much more money but a lot more fun!
    Exactly !

It is a job, It is hard work, As a customer you only see one side. The best advice I can give anyone that may be interested in this or any other business is go work in it first. See what it is really like! Before you invest 10's or hundred's of thousands of dollars.

(Delaware County)

If this is what you really want to do, then go for it. Pick a good location, stock your store with what you believe will sell in your area, treat customers with respect.

Personally, I am bothered by the number of gun stores that have closed down in the last 20 years. These retail spaces were not utilized by other gun stores. Apparently, there has been a trend going on for the last number of years that has made going into the gun business very unattractive. All of this in the face of rising gun sales beyond the expectations of anyone even remotely involved in firearms.

There has been avenues taken in the industry that has proven to be very profitable for at least a few.

Regarding your orginal question, manufacturers giving wholesale prices to dealers....... Not done unless your retail store is a direct distributor for the particular company, glock, smith, etc. Most dealers go through wholesalers who give prices depending on how much business a particular retailer does with whatever wholesaler.
    Last edited by c45man; December 12th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by rflynn View Post
    Go back to school!
    I'd change this to "Go to business school first." See my various posts about gun store vs correctly planned businesses. Though opening a business seems like some BS anyone can do (and you can) it isn't the same as knowing how to do it right. HUGH difference.

Thinking about profit margin on guns is a step certainly. But that doesn't help you if you don't know things like "how many <gun X> can I move in a month" and "how much inventory will I have to sit on to have a successful business." If you do open a gun store, we'd like to see you be a good one.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast