Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Looking for the best ACT 235 class in West Chester area

I've got all my stuff together and am ready to take my act 235 classes. I was just planning on going to Targetmaster as they are local and I knew the retired officer that teaches the classes from when I was a kid and he was a cop.

Anyway, when I did my Psych exam, the guy who did the exam was pushing another location, noting his experience in the projects and on the docks in philly as some good 'real world' experience.

Are there tangible differences between the content in the different locations? Has anyone taken the classes at Targetmaster? Any thoughts? Other recommendations?

Thanks for any input.

Mick

Default Re: Looking for the best ACT 235 class in West Chester area

It really doesn't matter where you take the class. I've been through it a few times in different locations. It's mostly the same... and that is to say, don't expect to get a whole lot out of it. If you're truly looking for "training", take some private classes on your own. The last time around, I took the re-cert at Classic Pistol. It was as adequate as any other place.

I'd bet that person administering the psych test has a personal connection with that particular instructor and is therefore just trying to steer people toward his business.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the input.

Yea, it was clear (at least to me) that he did. It just raised enough question that I figured I'd check to see if there were any differences before signing up.

Has anybody here actually taken the classes at Targetmaster? No complaints I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by 229Mick View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Yea, it was clear (at least to me) that he did. It just raised enough question that I figured I'd check to see if there were any differences before signing up.

Has anybody here actually taken the classes at Targetmaster? No complaints I assume?
    I personally haven't taken the class at Targetmaster, but you might want to look on this forum for people's opinions of the place. A bulk of it is not particularly complimentary.

Take whatever you learn at the classes with a grain of salt. Some of the guys teaching it will give you a lot of info based on what they experienced as cops 30 years ago... given the state of law enforcement back in the good ol' days, not all of it is prudent or applicable these days.

(Berks County)

Most place are all the same. The course material is standard.

The issue I have found is a business holding the class. Classic Pistol outside Philly holds classes quite often. Another possible class is @ Shimerville (north on Rt 100) close to Emmaus.