Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Has anyone used Gun Kote on a SS slide?

I saw a really great deal on a used S&W Sigma 9mm today. The weapon was in phenomenal shape and cheaper than I've ever seen a used one. Problem is that it had that annoying two-tone stainless slide. Besides thinking it looks stupid, it wouldn't be functional for me as I don't want a "shiny" CCW piece.

I've done some research online at the different options available for darkening SS and the one that really caught my eye was Brownells' Gun Kote product. Has anyone used this? Is it as simple to DIY as advertised? Does it look professional when it's done? I don't want my 9mm looking like somebody's home painted goose gun. (No offense to goose hunters, unless your shotgun is ugly.)
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

Default Re: Has anyone used Gun Kote on a SS slide?

Yes, and on carbon steel. Goes right over parkerizing, if you wanted to. With stainless steel, prepping is crucial and you must be sure you want it coated as you will need to use a Scotch Brite pad (green one) to scuff it with (scuffs even from a green pad are hard to remove without leaving some kind of polishing swirls). Scuffing will help keep it from flaking off, later. As far as the finish, it looks good if done well and holds up pretty well, but will nick if banged around. The good thing is it can be redone easily if a holster puts wear marks in it or it gets dinged up.

Note: You don't have to scuff it, but it will help the paint adhere 300%, better.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Has anyone used Gun Kote on a SS slide?

You need to remove all parts from the slide,including sites ,then degrease with brake cleaner, bead blast the surface with 100 t0 120 grit aluminum oxide, then it gets degreased again and it ready to coat -cerakote gunkote or duracoat. If your not sure you can handle it call me at 610-252-5334 for advice or if you want done professionally. I just did one of these a couple of weeks ago for the same reason customer wanted to get rid of the stainless look. Not a bad pistol for the money. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor