Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Carrying/concealed/open....loaded or not legal with permit

If I have a carry permit in Carbon County PA is it a permit to carry concealed or open and am legally able to carry loaded?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Carrying/concealed/open....loaded or not legal with permit

Search and reading stickies are your friend. It's called a License To Carry a Firearm. It permits you to carry openly or concealed.

Check this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Luzerne County)

While technically not a permit, (I'll let some of the other guys on here bust your balls about that) a PA LTCF allows you to carry open/ concealed/loaded/ unloaded/ upside down/ inside out or however you wish. Some exceptions apply e.g. loaded long guns in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    /\ /\ excellent place to start.

I would recommend a secure molded holster for concealed carry, a retention holster for open carry and some professional training.

Welcome to the club.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If I have a carry permit in Carbon County PA is it a permit to carry concealed or open and am legally able to carry loaded?
    If it says "License to Carry Firearms" and was issued by Carbon County then you can carry handguns loaded concealed or openly. That does not vary by county.

It does not allow you to transport loaded rifles or loaded shotguns in your car. Longuns (shotguns and rifles) must always be unloaded in a car.

There are places you can't take guns such as post offices, some federal property, possibly public school property (just avoid it for now to be safe).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bagman29 View Post
    While technically not a permit, (I'll let some of the other guys on here bust your balls about that) a PA LTCF allows you to carry open/ concealed/loaded/ unloaded/ upside down/ inside out or however you wish. Some exceptions apply e.g. loaded long guns in a vehicle.

/\ /\ excellent place to start.

I would recommend a secure molded holster for concealed carry, a retention holster for open carry and some professional training.

Welcome to the club.
    Permit and license mean the same thing in the dictionary, in law, and in practice. They are only proof of provided exemption to a prohibited or regulated act.

Nowhere in the UFA does the statutes give our "LTCF" a proper name, it is simply referred to as a "license". Only a regulation by the PSP give our license any sort of name. The name of which means nothing, and confers no special protections, limitations, or abilities - only statutes do that. The same thing applies to "CWP", "CWL", etc, etc.

---

To the OP,

If you have your LTCF you can carry it however you like. The law prohibits carrying a "firearm" concealed or in a vehicle. With a license you are exempt from that prohibition. Loaded or unloaded doesn't really matter to "firearms"(handguns, SBS's, SBR's), only the manner in which you carry them - so you can carry them loaded or not, that is up to you. However an unloaded handgun is only a very ineffective club.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 12th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Permit and license mean the same thing in the dictionary, in law, and in practice. They are only proof of provided exemption to a prohibited or regulated act.
    In the UFA also:

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.

(Northampton County)

If you are new to carrying your firearm it would be a good idea for you to take the NRA's Firearms Concealed Carry Course, covers firearms handling ,drawing from a holster, live fire doing so and drawing your weapon from a purse , as well as some aspects of the laws pertaining to carry and firearms use.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    If you are new to carrying your firearm it would be a good idea for you to take the NRA's Firearms Concealed Carry Course, covers firearms handling ,drawing from a holster, live fire doing so and drawing your weapon from a purse , as well as some aspects of the laws pertaining to carry and firearms use.
    Excellent idea. Contact the NRA or your local ranges, you can probably get a basic class such as this for very little money. Defintely under $100. Better yet, contact some of the trainers in the Training Courses section on our message board:

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/

Especially somebody in your area. They can probably help you find a basic class if you need one. If you've never had a class on civilian carry, you probably need one. Even if you are a Navy Seal and have been shooting for 40 years. Sersiously.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Nowhere in the UFA does the statutes give our "LTCF" a proper name, it is simply referred to as a "license". Only a regulation by the PSP give our license any sort of name. The name of which means nothing, and confers no special protections, limitations, or abilities - only statutes do that. The same thing applies to "CWP", "CWL", etc, etc.
    Thank God, someone has finally said that. This whole "permit vs license" thing gets so redundant. If anyone calls it a "permit", there seems to be at least a couple of people who are sitting with their twitchy fingers hovering over the keyboard waiting to bust balls. For every one person who says the sky is blue, there are 10 more who will say that it's not blue but rather azure, cyan, or sapphire. The content of the post always seems so much less important than the words with which it was delivered.

And that thing that goes in the bottom of your pistol, just don't call it a clip.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    Thank God, someone has finally said that. This whole "permit vs license" thing gets so redundant. If anyone calls it a "permit", there seems to be at least a couple of people who are sitting with their twitchy fingers hovering over the keyboard waiting to bust balls. For every one person who says the sky is blue, there are 10 more who will say that it's not blue but rather azure, cyan, or sapphire. The content of the post always seems so much less important than the words with which it was delivered.

And that thing that goes in the bottom of your pistol, just don't call it a clip.
    Actually, I like the idea of informing new members that it's an LTCF. It is often done in a nice way. This thread is an example. I don't think we need to be rude about it, but informing people of the 'correct' terminology is in my view a good thing.

I do not think we should use the terms license and permit interchangeably, just because the dictionary implies that they can be. Some, more knowledgeable than me, believe that there is in fact a legal difference/distinction between them. So to avoid confusion, I think we should call a license a license, and a permit a permit.

As for magazines versus clips, a clip refers to a specific ammo system which is typically used with rifles and it is not a magazine. I don't think there's anything wrong with educating people about the difference. I think it should be done in a way that is not degrading, but I don't know that you can legislate kindness.
    Last edited by longcall911; December 12th, 2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: sp
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast