Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: point shooting?

(Butler County)

Default point shooting?

anyone practice that? Ever heard of it? Its new to me. I wonder how well it really works. I cant try it because I have a 1911 and just holding the gun like that feels completely awkward. Maybe a polymer gun would be different?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: point shooting?

Do you mean like this?

Don't do it; you only want to shoot from indexed locations. For me, that means a retention position with the grip indexed against my body, or my normal shooting position with sights aligned on target.

Point shooting is less of a technique and more of a term to describe what is done when the ideal or standard aiming practices are abandanded in the face of of various stresses.

A "variation" of point shooting is cowboy style shooting from the hip - you can see it often at exhibition shoots. If you so desired you could certainly improve your accuracy while point shooting with practice... Just a matter of why?

Default "Natural Point-of-aim" or "point-shooting" or general "Center Of Mass"?

Can of worms that you get to eat, if the DA or PA find out (from trolling this and any other gun forum?) that you use &/or advocate the methods. IF you miss (and one day you will) or over-penetrate by hitting a soft part of the body on your "bad guy", and strike an innocent by-stander -- collateral damage -- who subsequently sues your ass. You will lose. There are sights on weapons for a reason; USE THEM. Do not advocate on line anything else.
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

(Butler County)

hmmm, I must have coined the wrong term trying to decribe what I saw. What i meant was using your middle finger to pull the trigger while your index stays along the slide. using your index finger to sorta "point" at the target for close quarters firing. Sorry if I completely messed up the terminology

(Luzerne County)

Here ta go....

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    hmmm, I must have coined the wrong term trying to decribe what I saw. What i meant was using your middle finger to pull the trigger while your index stays along the slide. using your index finger to sorta "point" at the target for close quarters firing. Sorry if I completely messed up the terminology
    I have never heard of this technique.

In a standard strong hand side draw from the hip:

1. Get a firm grip on the gun in its holster, clear any retention.
    2. Draw, clearing the holster and rotating until the barrel of the firearm is parallel to the ground and pointing at the target.
    3. Bringing the firearm to the center of your body and adding your weak hand to the grip, while keeping the barrel parallel to the ground and on target.
    4. Extending your arms out, bringing the firearm up to eye level while keeping the firearm parallel to the ground, and on target then establishing sight picture.

Anywhere from the end of the the second step after you clear the holster and rotate the firearm so the barrel is parallel to the ground and on targe to when you have a proper and full sight picture you should be able to confidently engage a target depending on how close that target is. There are no hard and fast rules about this, but at three feet you could engage at the end of step 2, at the range of thirty feet you should probably wait until are done with the full draw and have a proper sight picture. Anything in-between that could be up to debate and involve many different factors.

Point shooting could be any of these circumstances where you don't have full sight picture and are relying on muscle memory to aim.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    Never go full retard

(Cambria County)

Being open minded. They offered a class on this one day at a local range and I went out and gave it a try.

First, I was impressed. All of us that went were. We shot way better than I ever expected to shoot using this method. They actually tape over your sights so you wouldn't use them.

I know there are those that will bad mouth the crap out of it. But it worked. And in a panic situation, I believe most shooters would probably do better shooting this way, since most probably won't use their sights anyway. I know you should, but when the SHTF, good planning can go out the window quickly.

On a side note. I do endorse using sights. But I won't tell you this system doesn't work, cause it sure seemed to work for me.

In this video, It is the end of the day at a the class on instinctive shooting. I placed every shot I fired on the paper plate, while walking, and you will see that this is firing rather quickly. You can hear the instructor at the end of the video even say that I got all my shots on the plates. Now, if it didn't work, I was either really lucky or just the best darn natural shot in the world. I'll let you decide.

Last edited by Mtbkski; December 12th, 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Changed Point to Instinctive
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Being open minded. They offered a class on this one day at a local range and I went out and gave it a try.

First, I was impressed. All of us that went were. We shot way better than I ever expected to shoot using this method. They actually tape over your sights so you wouldn't use them.

I know there are those that will bad mouth the crap out of it. But it worked. And in a panic situation, I believe most shooters would probably do better shooting this way, since most probably won't use their sights anyway. I know you should, but when the SHTF, good planning can go out the window quickly.

On a side note. I do endorse using sights. But I won't tell you this system doesn't work, cause it sure seemed to work for me.

In this video, It is the end of the day at a the class on point shooting. I placed every shot I fired on the paper plate, while walking, and you will see that this is firing rather quickly. You can hear the instructor at the end of the video even say that I got all my shots on the plates. Now, if it didn't work, I was either really lucky or just the best darn natural shot in the world. I'll let you decide.
    yea, this is the shooting method I MEANT to ask about. It seems like an interesting method of shooting, but I have never tried it, and as I mentioned in my first post, I have a 1911, and I tried holding the gun with that grip, but it feels odd.
    i assume a lighter gun would be ideal for this shooting method.
    Again, I have never heard of this until today, so thats why I made this post

***and sorry for going full retard, i will try and refrain from doing that
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; December 11th, 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: I apparently went full retard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast