Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Chester County)

Default Re: How fast can you shoot an AR 15

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Cute.

When you're talking about accuracy vs. round count, yes, military barrels used in combat don't last nearly as long.
    wasnt the op's question. the question you answered is the obvious and doesnt take an engineering degree to figure out. yes, as with any gun heat plays a big part in accuracy. reasons why people who shoot for precision will use bull barrells or fluted barrels. People who who are shooting 100 rounds of ammo in a hour out of their ar arent shooting for accuracy most likely.

You damage your rifle, some, everytime you shoot it. Every semi auto is designed to withstand the demands of rapid firing. The only thing you will do by rapid firing is wear parts out faster and keep the ammo companies in business, longer. If you are comfortable with that, then shoot away.

Edit: AR's are easy to repair, no matter what the problem is, and it doesn't always cost you an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by harold63; December 15th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    wasnt the op's question. the question you answered is the obvious and doesnt take an engineering degree to figure out. yes, as with any gun heat plays a big part in accuracy. reasons why people who shoot for precision will use bull barrells or fluted barrels. People who who are shooting 100 rounds of ammo in a hour out of their ar arent shooting for accuracy most likely.
    But it is his question. Getting the gun hotter will ruin the barrel faster than slow fire.....it's not just about accuracy. The threshold where the gun will cease to stabilize bullets will happen sooner.

Lycanhasburntbarrelsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    That was exactly the OP's question:
    "Hi folks, I have a very simple question, am I damaging my AR 15 by shooting rounds through it as fast I can pull the trigger."
    He is damaging the barrel. You damage it every time you pull the trigger, sure, but you damage it at a far greater rate when shooting rapidly.

No one seemed to be mentioning this, and since I was in the minority, I reinforced my position with some expertise. You don't need an engineering degree to know that, but it sure helps when convincing people that you're right.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    But it is his question. Getting the gun hotter will ruin the barrel faster than slow fire.....it's not just about accuracy. The threshold where the gun will cease to stabilize bullets will happen sooner.

Lycanhasburntbarrelsthrope
    Agreed. An AR is a machine & parts will wear out with use. If a guy is just going to the range once or twice a week & doing a few mag dumps, I think he'll wear out lower & upper components long before he ever notices any decrease in accuracy from the barrel.

OP, just take the bitch out, keep her wet & play with her.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234