Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Saiga 223

(Bucks County)

Default Saiga 223

I'm considering getting a supressor for my Saiga 223. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as a manufacturer?

(York County)

Default Re: Saiga 223

Unfortunately, it's not a practical suppressor platform.

First, you'll have to remove or relocate the front sight back (='s $) + thread the barrel (+ more $), and I think you'd have to remove the barrel from the trunion to even thread it (+ lots' o $$$).

None of the 'AK' type rifles are, for the money you'll spend to get it ready to safely 'mount' a suppressor.

It will still be 'LOUD' as the gas system to function the action will release lots of gas.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the reply. I do have full access to a top notch machine shop and a friend who is a master machinist with 30+yrs experience. The labor cost to prep it would be minimal. I did some research and it does seem like a different platform I.E.- AR15 would be more suitable. I just really like the Saiga and was wondering if it was possible. Thanks again.

(Elk County)

Two years ago, I picked up a YHM Phantom Stainless 5.56 thread mount. No problems after several thousand rounds from 11.5" to 20" barrels. With 223 ammo it sounds like a HV 22 rimfire. With Remington 22rf subsonics, it is deadly quiet. With the 223 rounds, it is hearing safe for a few rounds, but I wear electronic muffs anyway. For the price they are worth it. Yes, you can spend more and get more sound reduction. YHM has a great warranty and awesome customer service. I have emailed them several questions and they are fast to respond. Before I get flamed, I rarely shoot 22rf through it. More for demonstration purposes.