Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default FFL-03 Online Sale

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question for the C&R crowd out there....

I am selling a Polish P64 Makarov (handgun) on Gunbroker and I wanted to ask if I could legally ship it to a FFL-03 dealer in New York state. The gun is C&R eligible. The prospective recipient would be living in Bridgeport (13030) and I would be shipping the gun from my local FFL-01 dealer.

I assumed that this would be OK but I just wanted to ask before I made a mistake.

Thanks!

Trigg3r

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: FFL-03 Online Sale

I've had an 03 licence for some years but I'm not an espert, and the BATFs web site might be your best bet. But you used the term "03 dealer", and its worthy to remember that an 03 license is a license as a collector of Curios and Relics, not a dealer of any sort. Selling a gun to improve a collection is no more a problem then for non-licensed gun collectors, but buying and selling for profit (dealing) is outside the limits of the license. Having said that, I believe the seller has a responsibility to make sure he is transporting to a person who can leagally receive it. My understanding is that the sender can send a C&R qualified firearm to someone holding a C&R license. I would ask the buyer to supply a copy of his license, just as the mail order places do for people like me. But see first sentence: check with BATF and stay out of trouble.

(Montgomery County)

As long as you have an 03, you can legally ship it to another 03 holder as long as there are no state restrictions on hand gun shipments to an 03. NJ & CA plus some others have such laws. Get a copy of his 03 before shipping via UPS or FEDEX and enter in your bound book. Dave_n

(Chester County)

I do not believe you can ship a pistol directly to a NY resident, C&R pistol, C&R license holder or not, in NY you need a pistol permit to even own a handgun. This is a completely different process than getting a C&R license. You may be ok with PA law, you may be ok with federal law, but you should look into this further with regard to NY state law. I sure as hell wouldn't be sending a pistol up there directly to some guy with a C&R license, to cover your butt go FFL 01 in PA to FFL 01 in NY. I am not 100% sure about this but I am strongly advising you to use extreme caution with regards to NY.
    Last edited by MartinBrody; December 9th, 2011 at 10:54 PM.