Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default ATI Titan .45 1911 Compact

My sisters fiance just got a new ATI Titan .45 , I was talking with him last night and he told me the dealer he bought it from told him to only use FMJ ammo because HP will cause it to jam. So he bought all FMJ ammo. He is not to expierenced so he didn't question it. When he told me this I called bullshit but then I thought before I started preaching gospel on a firearm I am not personally familiar with I would check some resources.

Have any of you heard of this phenomena with this particular model. I am not too familiar wth the 1911's never owned or carried one but I told him I would check this out before he bought any more ammo.

If worse come to worse I told him we can get a few boxes of hollow point from different manufactures and see how it handles them.

Anyway any input would be appreciated.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: ATI Titan .45 1911 Compact

I have a Titan, and haven't experienced any problems with hollow point ammo. Though, I have encountered a few issues. In addition to what I put in the post below, I also replaced the ejector (more to alter the trajectory of the brass, than to address an actual FTE issue). Having done that, and the recoil spring/guide rod assembly, I've got a real nice compact 1911.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...-fix-info.html
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Indiana County)

Many 1911's have had issues with HP ammo out of the box and some still do. Many newer ones don't.

He needs to try some different brands and see what works and what doesn't.
    Some 1911's need a couple hundred rounds through them before they are dependable. I would use cheaper FMJ's for "break in".

The feed ramp is the usual culprit if jamming occurs and can be touched up to correct feeding of HPs.

Remember the 1911 was designed to fire round nose FMJ's, not HPs, the dealers advice might be due to the old theory that FMJ is the only dependable type of ammo that can be fired in a 1911.
    Loading HPs and having it jam if needed for SD is not a good thing.

(Montgomery County)

Corbon Pow'R Ball is a good choice if the gun doesn't prove to feed JHP reliably.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Corbon Pow'R Ball is a good choice if the gun doesn't prove to feed JHP reliably.
    ^^^^This^^^^

(Erie County)

I was happy to see something about this issue pointing mostly towards ATI
    I bought a 1911 military (A1/WWII) made my ATI. Its my first handgun and has had just about 200 rounds through it. Yesterday i went to the range with a box of Winchester white box 230 Grain JHP rounds. Wal mart is the worst in selection, as this is all they had and i had ran out of my last WWB 230 FMJs. Everytime i tried to release the slide it would go no more than a centimeter and the edge of the HP would catch the bottom portion of the barrel. Rock the slide back and release and the round would chamber. This made my new colt stainless 8 rd mag look bad, which also had issues locking the slide. It didn't lock once but that's not the issue at hand.

Because the ATI M1911 Military is based off the original A1 is the design the reason this gun would struggle with Jacketed hollow points? And is there any kind of aftermarket way to resolve this?

I figured it might be the combination of the heavier 230 grain AND the hollow point. Maybe if it was a 185 grain or something the mag could compensate for the lack of a feed ramp, which i believe might be the only issue.

Thoughts? Hopefully?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I have read in many places that 1911's don't like hollow points? I've never had any issues, but I go with the pow'r balls too in my carry 45 ( xds ) just to be sure!

(Monroe County)

It is a *stock* 1911 thing.

Some 1911's are finicky about HP's out of the box. Sometimes you can find ones that will work, other times you will have to polish the feed ramp to get them to feed reliably. My RIA 1911 has issues with certain HP's, but I have found Winchester PDX to feed wonderfully through it, and I have not polished the feed ramp.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Monroe County)

THe Guy told you right, the Phillino Guns are built to milspec , that means no throated barrel and chamber , that doesnt mean you cannot shoot hollow points in them , most times they will feed ok but at times they will jam because they were not designed to feed hp's, in any case its a nice gun , you can polish it up yourself or have a smith do it for you to make it tolerate hp's more.

I have a Para ordnance LTC that is yet to have a single failure after thousands of rounds, BUT that gun were designed to shoot HP's reliably.

First, ATI does not "make" guns. They import guns. The ATI 1911s are manufactured in the Philippines by Shooters Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M.), who have been making 1911s fir decades. They have always been decent guns that sold well elsewhere, but they've never had an aggressive importer/distributor to push them in the U.S. Hopefully that will change under ATI.

230-grain ball ammo pretty much always has the same bullet shape/profile, regardless of who makes it. That's not the case with JHP. A lot of JHP bullets have almost no curve to the bullet profile, they are shaped more like a truncated cone. Those are the ones that won't feed reliably in a "traditional" 1911. Try Remington Golden Saber; they have a rounder profile that's more like a FMJ bullet. Or, if you can find any Winchester USA or Remington UMC "Personal Defense" JHP ammo, both of those have basically the same bullet shape as the Golden Saber. My experience has been that a 1911 that won't run on Golden Saber won't even run on standard 230-grain ball ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast