Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Where do you belong? (Range membership)

Ambridge sportsman and Beaver Valley Rifle. Beaver is just not IDPA for pistol indoor or outside IDPA is Sat or Sun morning. There indoor is open 24/7 as long as the range is not reserved and very nice. A&S is the only place around that you can shoot jacketed indoor close to us. It's just to dam expensive to rip out a steel trap for lead and put a new range in just to shoot indoor. Much easier when your building a club. Trust me you don't want hit by a jacketed riccochete.

It also depends on what your looking for and how much you want to pay an drive. Beaver is a great place to shoot if that's all you want. Dam lucky they got a toilet that flushes and a Coke machine. Ambridge is better if you want a social club and your the occasional shooter. And the membership prices are reflected at each place for those reasons.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; January 6th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Butler County)

I have almost zero interest in joining either BVRPC or ADSA at this point. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarr View Post
    I've narrowed it down to ACSL (North Boroughs Sportsman's Association), and PMSC. Between the two, and the occasional trip to A&S, I should be able to accomplish my wants as far as shooting.

I have an application for ACSL but as I stated in another thread, the contact information listed for the NBSA is inaccurate, so I am attempting to get a hold of a main contact for the league.

It looks like I will need a sponsor for PMSC, and also attend 2 meetings. If someone is willing to help me out with that, that would be great. PMSC is about an hour drive for me, but looks like but it will be well worth it.

My only two questions about PMSC.. what is the guest policy? ..and is FMJ allowed in the indoor pistol range?
    One guest permitted up to 3 times per year, up to 3 guests per visit. No guests in the indoor range. FMJ is allowed in the indoor range as long as it's lead core (no Wolf, RWS, Tulammo, etc.)
    Last edited by SteveD; January 6th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Butler County)

Excellent, thank you.
    H&K USP Compact 9mm//SA XD-9//SA XDs 45//S&W 442

(Allegheny County)

Coraopolis Sportsman Club
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I just applied to PMSC. I want to practice shooting for protection, which means multiple targets, variable distances, multiple shooting positions, using different types of guns at self-defense distances... the clubs near me would be great for zeroing a hunting rifle, but if you're not a hunter or trap shooter, you're S.O.L. with all of their rules & restrictions.

Throw in a nice indoor range, IDPA, F.I.R.E. Institute classes, CMP, .22 shoots for the kids... I worked really hard to find a decent club closer to home, but I finally stopped fighting it and went with PMSC. Can't wait to get in now!

With more and more people interested in self-defense and fewer people hunting, many of the other clubs are going to turn into good ol' boy's clubs with a handful of fossilized old farts.

(Allegheny County)

I was a member at allegheny rifle club for years, then I joined PMSC this year, best decision I ever made. I will not renew at allegheny as PMSC is a much better club with nicer facilitys, and only 8 minutes from my house

(Westmoreland County)

Sorry for the bump, but this is relevant to my own situation. I am looking for clubs in the area. I really like the look of PMSC. I am taking a FIRST Steps course there tomorrow. I am currently a novice looking to find somewhere to practice. Eventually I look to get into the other facets of the club, trap shooting, stuff like that.

The problem is, I live in Irwin and work on the North Shore. I know NOBODY that could sponsor me for membership. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Even if I meet some people in the club at my class tomorrow, I will feel it to be much too forward to immediately ask them to sponsor me. However, I am anxious to get things moving here as I will not feel comfortable concealed carrying until I am given an opportunity to practice a lot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ifman View Post
    I will feel it to be much too forward to immediately ask them to sponsor me.
    I showed up at Rosedale by myself and a couple guys signed as sponsors just because I said Hi and asked what's the protocol.

The only thing is that it's either Trap time or Rifle/pistol time, not both. I can live with that for the convenience and getting away from the really inexperienced people teaching their giggly girlfriends how to shoot a shotgun at the Wexford Public Game Lands

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    I showed up at Rosedale by myself and a couple guys signed as sponsors just because I said Hi and asked what's the protocol.

The only thing is that it's either Trap time or Rifle/pistol time, not both. I can live with that for the convenience and getting away from the really inexperienced people teaching their giggly girlfriends how to shoot a shotgun at the Wexford Public Game Lands
    Awesome, thanks. Rosedale is a bit far from me, but it makes me feel better about going into a membership meeting of PMSC without a sponsor.

Can any of the PMSC members comment on this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast