Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Crossing the bridge from carrying unloaded to loaded (not chambered)

Recently I've kind of been concealed carrying (mostly to the range, but in Walmart last night), but I can't seem to keep a magazine loaded (not chambered even) in my gun. My holster has a mag pouch, so it's not a huge liability (yes I realize reaction under stress and time are very relevant). However, I can't bring myself to put the magazine into the gun and carry it loaded. I nearly did last night in my house, but at the last second I didn't.

Any tips of making it easier to cross the bridge from unloaded to loaded?

I think part of the reason is getting used to having an OWB holster for a 92FS and dealing with things like seatbelts, pockets, zippers, etc. I love the 92FS's safety, but i know safeties fail. I really don't want to plaxico my leg too. I figure keeping it unchambered (based on the idea of draw and chamber), but still.

Sorry for rambling, but I know when you only have seconds trying to get a mag out, draw, load, and chamber...isn't very easy, so I know I have to cross that bridge eventually.

I will say this. It's nice when I have it on me, I felt safer,...except when I had a shorter jacket last night and kept pulling it down. Mas's Concealed Carry Digest Book has been helpful with tips, so I'm hoping to avoid it in the future. Part of the issue comes from me not liking subcompact and compacts, and preferring full size guns (92Fs and 1911), while not wanting to OC outside the range or in the car too the range (it's not against people who OC, I just prefer CC).

(Adams County)

Default Re: Crossing the bridge from carrying unloaded to loaded (not chambered)

All I can say is one step at a time. But once you take the first step the rest will come easily.

Sorry, that's all I have for you.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Crossing the bridge from carrying unloaded to loaded (not chambered)

It is a boat anchor unless it is ready to use.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    It is a boat anchor unless it is ready to use.
    I know I'm just trying to feel that I won't accidentally knock said anchor lose by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by e7ats View Post
    All I can say is one step at a time. But once you take the first step the rest will come easily.

Sorry, that's all I have for you.
    No, that's my own philosophy too. Truthfully I never (and often said) I wouldn't carry, but after doing it, it's nice to have one. I just don't feel confident to travel, walk, etc with a loaded (even if not chambered gun yet). I think of snags on my seatbelt and then think wow imagine if it was loaded. I guess I'm trying to figure out how I can help myself improve skills and knowledge in those areas.

(Wyoming County)

Just keep at it...it will get to the point you will forget it is there until you need it.

(Pike County)

Don't worry. One step at a time is just fine strategy. Can I also suggest to carry your mag(s) not in the holster pouch, but under your support hand, so it will be on your 1-2 o'clock (you're lefty, as I can recall, right?). Remove all the ammo from the room just to stay extra safe (and from the magazine, of course) and practice draw and loading the empty mag into the gun.

Also, think about getting a better holster. Most of the holsters with mag pouch that I've seen are very blah. Don't try to be penny wise on them. Also, get leather holster and leather pouch if you can, they won't mess your the cloth's surface as much if you wear something business or dressy. Or, there's always SERPA
    Je suis déplorable

(Northumberland County)

Get a holster where the trigger is complete cover and retention is present. This might relieve some of your worries about snags. In time you will become more comfortable and make the choice to OC or continuing to CC. It just takes time.

(Bucks County)

+1 for getting a better holster. Defiantly get one that is made to fit your specific gun if you don't have one already. Carry it around the house with you as much as possible before you venture out into the real world. Also don't worry so much about other people knowing you have it. Your following the laws and doing nothing wrong. My biggest fear was the same as yours when I started carrying so I know it can take a little to get use to.

(Delaware County)

You're not the first who has expressed a concern about this. I didn't carry a chambered round for a little bit when I first started to carry concealed. I was carrying a Kahr CW9 with no safety at all, other than a long trigger pull.

What I did, I racked the slide with no mag so it was ready to fire, then I put the empty mag in, so it was basically ready to go as if it had a round chambered, but it really didn't. I carried the gun this way for a week going about my normal routines. (triple checking that I had no rounds in the gun, I did have an extra mag in my pocket fully loaded) At the end of my day, I dropped the mag, pointed the gun at a bucket of sand and pulled the trigger, it was still ready to fire, it didn't accidentally pull itself (get caught on something etc.) By the end of the week with no problem I was ready to carry mentally and physically since I had never worn a gun concealed until then.

Worked for me. I've been carrying everywhere I'm legal to do so since.

Definitely get a holster that covers the trigger.. I have been carrying daily for 3 months now.. The first month I carried loaded but not with one in the chamber. Last month I started carrying with 1 in the chamber. I have no worries at all. Every few days, I clear my pistol and reload it just to be sure. I found by doing this often my comfort level increased.. I don't even worry when I am on the couch and my dogs jumps on me.. Again, get a nice OWB or IWB holster depending on your preference..

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast