Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 28

Default S&W model 28

What can you guys tell me about the model 28 highway patrolman? I'm familiar with them but never seen one and don't know a whole lot about them, just looking for some help/info.

How do they compare to the model 19?

I am familiar with the size difference...

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: S&W model 28

They are built on N frame. Will hold up better to .357 ammo better. Use to have one. Was a nice revolver.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a pre model 27 which is just a more refined version of the 28. These N frames are very strong guns and I agree that that will hold up better to lot of magnum loads. With the large frame comes some additional weight. A plus for shooting as it tames recoil a good bit when compared to the same load out of my 19's. Shooting mild .38 spl loads is a lot like plinking with a .22. This additional weight may be viewed as a negative for carrying purposes when compared to the K frame model 19.

The grip frame is larger and may be an issue for folks with smaller hands. I can get by with the smaller magna grips on N frames but the larger target grips are a bit much. The gun that fits your hand best may well be the best choice for you. My example has been accurate with the different handloads I've tried in it so far.

The only real issues you need to determine is what you are going to use it for. A 19 would be a lighter carry gun and great if you plan on shooting .38's a good bit for practice. Keep in mind that the model 19 had issues with the barrel cracking around the forcing cone when shooting magnum bullets weighing a 125 grains or less. This is the reason why the L frame 586/686 came about. If you are planning on shooting a steady diet of magnums, especially the lighter weight bullets I'd go with the 28 as it never had this issue.

Well, I intend to use it for a range gun, I'm sure at some point I'll carry it but not very often. I reload my own ammo so that's not an issue, but I'll load 38 and 357 for it. My hands are medium to large so I plan on trying several grips with it, the one I'm looking at has 2 sets of grips: a set of magna grips and a set of Ahrends boot grips so we'll see what works better.

(Delaware County)

i took mine out a couple weeks ago, it is really easy to shoot full power magnums. Its a little big for my smallish hands, but its such a nice platform.you can shoot magnums out of it all day without it beating you up. the forcing cone is massive compared with a 19.

two videos my friend took if your interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Y0ekQpbxY

and some muzzle fllash at night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EWa...eature=related
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Jefferson County)

The 28 is a large frame gun, where as the 19 is a medium frame gun. The 28 is more like a Sherman tank, where the 19 is like a passenger car. K-frame guns cannot withstand continuous heavy loads, but the N-frame can. The .357mag was designed for N-framed guns with the factory spec of a 158gr slug @ 1450fps. K-frames cannot handle those original spec loads for very long. Even today's pussified .357mag loads beat the hell out of a K-frame.

My dad's 28 is a very accurate and tight gun. I used to OC it from 18yo til I was 19 or 20 when I bought my Python off my uncle. I have a pic of me OC'n dad's gun in his left hand belt holster carried on me like an over the shoulder type arrangement from when I was a teen somewhere.. I'll post it if I can find it.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 8th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Elk County)

The only thing I'll add is that N-frame guns tend to "batter" the cylinder stop recess with much firing. There's a lot of mass rotating there that has to stop quickly, and well-used N-frames tend to be a little "loose" in the direction of cylinder rotation. The Model 29-5 saw the introduction of modifications to enlarge the cylinder stop to spread the load over a larger area, but none of the Model 28s had this improvement. All I'm saying is pay attention to the cylinder stop slots and see if there's excessive "peening" of the sides of the slot, and resultant cylinder play when looking at any N-Frame.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

hard to go wrong with a 28
    here is mine
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

Darn thing is big for a 357 magnum the N frame should last a long time firing some of the hottest 357 mag ammo you can find. The N frame 28 was one of there most successful service pistol after the K frame and now popular L frame.

I have the model 27, which is essentially for all intents and purposes, the same gun. I was quite surprised how tame it was even when shooting magnum loads. You can't help but fall in love with that SA trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast