Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default S&W e series 1911

Hey its been a while since I've posted been busy at work but have a new pistol I'm thinking of buying and since i have to trade a Sig p220 compact for it i want to make sure I'm getting a good pistol. Any one have any input on the smith and Wesson e series 1911s. I'm looking at the 4 1/4" scandium with the bobtail grip. looks tight on the outside but have yet to dissemble to get a better look. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich

Default Re: S&W e series 1911

I have one in 5" version the basic it is put together really well from internal parts to outside metal work this pistol is made well. I own 5 other 1911. A Customized Sam, a Kimber Custom II, Colt Commander series 70 dressed out, the Ruger SR1911 and this S&W series E. All are good shooters and smooth in operation but the S&W stands out in workmanship and smooth operation. I haven't done any 25-50 yard shooting but 7 yards they all will shoot less then quarter size groups. The Smith shows the most solid workmanship and bang for the buck. The Kimber, Colt and the Ruger are put together pretty good also but not as tight as the E series S&W did an excellent job. The scandlimum Smith has night sights and some other custom features other then its ultra light weight.

(Delaware County)

I just bought the basic, all steel, version. I haven't shot it yet and I don't have much to compare it to. I shot 1911s in the military and other folks 1911s throughout the years but, while I have a shit ton of pistols (shit ton defined as more than my wife would like me to have) this is my first 1911.

Open to any insight other owners may have gleaned.

Edit:
    Shot well. No failures of any kind. I didn't experience the brass extraction into the face issue others have mentioned (to which I was pleasantly surprised). I was reasonably accurate with it at 7 and 10 yards. I was shooting the 5 "plates" style targets, off hand, and had trouble hitting the "plate" consistently at 15 yards. I only threw 10 rounds at that distance but wanted to see what I could do with it. Seems like a had a bit too much muzzle jump for a semi-auto of it's size and heft. i wonder if a different recoil spring would help this. Overall impression...I need to spend a lot more time with this gun.
    Last edited by Foofer; December 24th, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added content

Quote Originally Posted by Foofer View Post
    I just bought the basic, all steel, version. I haven't shot it yet and I don't have much to compare it to. I shot 1911s in the military and other folks 1911s throughout the years but, while I have a shit ton of pistols (shit ton defined as more than my wife would like me to have) this is my first 1911.

Open to any insight other owners may have gleaned.
    I looked at the E series in 9 mm a couple of weeks ago and just about left the shop with another shit ton.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Hey its been a while since I've posted been busy at work but have a new pistol I'm thinking of buying and since i have to trade a Sig p220 compact for it i want to make sure I'm getting a good pistol. Any one have any input on the smith and Wesson e series 1911s. I'm looking at the 4 1/4" scandium with the bobtail grip. looks tight on the outside but have yet to dissemble to get a better look. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich
    If you can foot an extra few hundred dollars, I'd go for a DW VBOB/CBOB/GBOB. You'll get 3 times the pistol for 1/3 extra in cost. Absolute best value in 1911s right now.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    If you can foot an extra few hundred dollars, I'd go for a DW VBOB/CBOB/GBOB. You'll get 3 times the pistol for 1/3 extra in cost. Absolute best value in 1911s right now.
    456 - The DWA is another jump up in price range, the Basic E series is $800 pistol and the DWA CBob is a $1400-$1600 pistol. Now the S&W Scandimum is a $1300 with night sight and ultra lightweight 1911. I'd like a side by side comparison of he two. DWA is suppose to have a nice trigger straight out of the box My E series has a 4lb trigger pull right out of the box and 2" accuracy out 25-30 yards. I'm not sure if the DWA has a matched barrel which you will need to beat that.

By all accounts the DWA 1911s are nice bargains for the money. But,...
    Look around I think there is a new sheriff in town. Best bang for the money is the E Series S&W 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Best bang for the money is the E Series S&W 1911s.
    Granted, it is a nice 1911, but if you look at all 1911's being produced, today, I would choose the SA TRP as the king of the "most gun for the money", but that is JMO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.