Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default What do you clean your guns with that wasnt made for it initially?

Just curious if Im the only one using old english, mobil 1, carb cleaner, and marine grease in my firearms?

I like to think SHTF/ cheap/ readily available.

Before anyone bashes my cleaning techniques, I have thousands of rounds down all of my barrels. I still use cleaning patches and pull throughs.

Anyone?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What do you clean your guns with that wasnt made for it initially?

Oil my 1911 with mobile 1 syn 5w30

I've used Mobil 1 Automatic Transmission fluid as a lubricant and partially as a cleaner on a regular basis. works just fine.

I've tried dishsoap once when out of everything else.

been thinking about brake cleaner but never tried it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Just curious if Im the only one using old english, mobil 1, carb cleaner, and marine grease in my firearms?

I like to think SHTF/ cheap/ readily available.

Before anyone bashes my cleaning techniques, I have thousands of rounds down all of my barrels. I still use cleaning patches and pull throughs.

Anyone?
    BEER?

Anyway, I've used Lighter fluid when cleaning my AR.

(Berks County)

^too funny! No, old English wood cleaner.

Never heard of brake cleaner, I would think its too harsh on finishes. ATF makes sense, never thought of it though. Good ideas guys!

(Indiana County)

Kroil industrial penetrating oil has become a cult classic for cleaning .22 rimfire barrels. It really does work.

Windex keeps a black powder revolver functioning at the range. Spray on and wipe off between reloads. Just be sure to have lots of towels.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

Urine. I imagine it'd work if SHTF.

• Brake cleaner aerosol, carburetor cleaner if I'm in a pinch. Works great for removing Hoppes, since the BR9 residue severely corrodes ammunition. FYI-if you try this, remove ALL plastic, finished wood and everything else non-metallic. Exception: Glocks, that plastic seems to be immune.
    • 12 gauge bore brushes & bore mops for cleaning AK gas tubes. It's the perfect size.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

I mainly clean my guns (Glocks, AK, AR) with hot soapy water and lubricate them with high temp bearing grease, which is cheap ($4/lb) and stays where you put it. Frankly, I can't think of a dedicated gun lube that I prefer at any price.

For removing residue/water I stopped using brake cleaner and spend an extra dollar or two per can on hexane (MAF or Electronic parts cleaner). It's not nearly as bad if you get it on your skin and it doesn't turn the room you're in into a gas chamber. It's also safe on ALL plastics.
    Last edited by vicious; December 6th, 2011 at 07:59 PM.

(Venango County)

Parts Cleaner at work on the AK and the Glock, I've also used the Ultrasonic Carb Cleaner on the Glock, wish it was a smidge bigger, though

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast