Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default any one know anything about coonan firearms?

i saw a slick 1911 style pistol chambered in 357 magnum made by Coonan. i've heard of Coonan but know very little about them but the 1911 i saw caught my attention and is beckoning me to buy it as a Christmas present to myself. if anyone has experience with Coonan firearms please chime in with your experience. the gun was priced at just under 1200 so before i kick out that kind of dough i want to make sure i'm buying a quality product. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 6th, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

Default Re: any one know anything about coonan firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i saw a slick 1911 style pistol chambered in 357 magnum made by Coonan. i've heard of Coonan but know very little about them but the 1911 i saw caught my attention and is beckoning me to buy it as a Christmas present to myself. if anyone has experience with Coonan firearms please chime in with your experience. the gun was priced at just under 1200 so before i kick out that kind of dough i want to make sure i'm buying a quality product. thanks
    I have a Fal built of a coonan receiver and it just as nice as my $2k DSA Fal. I also have seen a bunch of ak's built off coonan receivers. Can't say how there 1911's are built. Never seen or heard of a 1911 in 357 Mag , any reason why your going that direction ? I love 1911's i have one in 22, 40 , 45 , single stack, double stack...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Allegheny County)

30 years ago they got good write ups. havent heard much about them recently.

30 years. damn that makes me feel old.

(Lancaster County)

Big thanks wellcraft! For the past few weeks I've been trying to remember what it was and who made it. I could see it in my mind but could not place it. 30 years ago I had wanted one in the worst way and now again I'm curious

(Perry County)

I've heard of them and seen them, but never fired them or know much about them. I heard they went out of business for awhile or shut the down the business and recently have started back up again?

I've heard that the .357 1911s were supposed to be pretty good, but that's just stuff Ive read on forums.

(Monroe County)

Back in the 70's and 80's Coonan were a big name , they cut their teeth on a .357 mag semi-auto 1911 style (what a concept) they went out of business several times over the years.

It is definately a collectible piece , not many companies made a rimmed 1911 , probably no other.

THey were nicely made guns.

If you have access to old gun magazines you can read up on them (no internet back then).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    I have a Fal built of a coonan receiver and it just as nice as my $2k DSA Fal. I also have seen a bunch of ak's built off coonan receivers. Can't say how there 1911's are built. Never seen or heard of a 1911 in 357 Mag , any reason why your going that direction ? I love 1911's i have one in 22, 40 , 45 , single stack, double stack...
    the coonan 1911 just looks cool and you don't find 1911's chambered in 357 magnum. no other reason than that

(Lehigh County)

i use coonan all the time, they make great fal receivers, in fact, i ordered one yesterday. customer service is top notch. Connie is very knowledgeable and can answer most questions, she is also very pleasant to deal with. i highly recommend them.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

November 2011 edition of Shooting Illustrated has a write up. Apparently, the founder sold the company, which then went out of business. The original founder has now started a new company.

(Montgomery County)

I can't tell you anything about them other than I fondled the one that you saw (I assume) at CP last Tuesday.
    I almost walked out with it for the same reasons as you - .357 magnum 1911 and "just because"

I decided to pass on it, but it has been bugging me all week

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast