Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default me and gf thinking of moving

So me and my girlfriend are contemplating moving to the Scranton Wilkes-barre area after she finishes her masters at West Chester university in the spring of 2013. Its a compromise because i want to stay in PA and we both want to be closer to our families in N.Y. and moving to the Scranton area will put us within 1-2 hours of both our families.

So basically what I'm looking for is what areas are good to move to vs. areas not to move to. We are both in our mid twenties so we want to be some what close to the action but also some what removed. We will most likely be looking to get married at this point as well and i'm sure kids will follow not to long after. We are both outdoorsy, we both hike I hunt, fish, and mt. bike so being close to state parks, sgl's and such is also important.

We will most likely be renting at first but would be looking to buy with in a year or so of moving.

I will be exploring the area this summer looking for places to hunt next fall and looking at potential areas to move in the process. I just don't want to go in blind and want to be settled on a place by next winter so i can start applying to jobs.

any insight you guys can provide will be helpful.

p.s. i hunt deer and grouse so any help pointing me in the direction of those would be helpful too.
    Last edited by B.A.; December 5th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: me and gf thinking of moving

Clarks Summit

(Lackawanna County)

look at any of the towns outside of scranton towards the poconos. You can be 15-30 minutes from all the "action" and nightlife of scranton/wb and still live almost in or next a state forest! Check out moscow, gouldsboro,thornhurst, or any of the surrounding communities. Oh and depending on your housing budget, then yes try clarks summit, dalton or bear creek!

(Luzerne County)

Avoid the Hazleton area. Crime is increasing and spreading into surrounding communities. Unless of course you want to buy my house, as we are looking to get out of the area. Sadly every house I see come up for sale around us sits on the market for at least 6 months. Some of them have been up for 2+ years.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Lackawanna County)

Anywhere except Scranton or Wilkes-Barre; both are just craphole ghetto towns now. Once you pass Scranton, the further north on 81 you go, the nicer it gets. Clarks Summit, Clarks Green, Waverly, Ransom, Fleetville, those are all nearly rural, but the highway is right there, so civilization is only about 10 minutes away. I don't know much about Luzerne County, since I avoid it like herpes. I lived in Scranton my whole life, and couldn't wait to move the hell out.

I'm in Dickson City now, which is right outside of Scranton. It's not great, but it's a whole hell of a lot better than Scranton is. Taxes are a bit higher, but our schools are better, and our roads get plowed when it snows, not a week after. Plus, the whole Commerce Boulevard area is right there; Walmart, Target, the Viewmont Mall, dozens of retailers, and more restaurants than anyone knows what to do with are here.

There are a bunch of parks: McDade Park is in Taylor, Nay Aug Park is in Scranton, Lake Scranton is right outside the city limits, Lackawanna State Park is beautiful, plus lots of gameland all over. There's one SGL shooting range, in Archbald.

(Wyoming County)

^^^^^^^What Molly says.

(Luzerne County)

There are many little towns between Scranton and Wilkes Barre. There is a a bunch of game lands with a shooting range on top of suscon mountain. Again the area is close to 81.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Franklin County)

Ever look into Lake Wallenpaupack area? You're only about 20-30 minutes from Scranton depending on where you are. Tons of game lands, the big lake, many little ones, lots of parks with trails, dirt cheap to live, clean, quiet, people are nice and polite, very little traffic (except during the summers), lots of history, low taxes, etc etc.