Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Greene County)

Default Researching my first pistol

Ok, so I am reasearching to buy my first pistol and am looking for opinions, this seemed like a place that is full of them

I am looking for a range/night stand pistol. At this point it probably wont be a CCW,and if I decide to go that route in the future I would probably get something more dedicated to it. I am also trying to stay around/under the $500 range, and am leaning towards 9mm mostly due to cost of ammo and comfort.

For almost 10 years I carried a Beretta M9, shot thousands of rounds through it, and have done a lot of training with it. however the M92 and its full sized cousins seem a little bulky and not really what I am looking for at this point

It seems like the striker fired pistols are much more popular these days, and I am sure this is just out of my pure comfort and personal experience, but I like the external hammer rather than a striker, as well as DA/SA. I think there is some merit in having my first personal pistol be similar to what I am already comfy with.

Enough back story

The other day I had the chance to fire a Beretta PX4 full size. It was comfy in the hand, fired well and just seemed like an all around decent pistol. It is definatly at the top end of my price range, but seemed like a quality gun. It is at the top of my current short list.

I am not stuck on beretta. I have also heard good things about the Ruger P95 (good price), the Sig SP2022, and people seem to like some of the CZ's and the FNP 9 aulthough I am not really familar with them

I dont believe in spending extra money just because of a name on the side, but at the same time I dont mind saving for a few extra weeks and spending a little more on a good quality weapon that I will likley keep for years that I love.

Suggestions and opinions are welcome

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Researching my first pistol

Next on my list is a Sig 226 in 9mm. I shot my cousins issued 226 in .357 and fell in love. It has a good trigger,all steel and proven reliability. I have a Glock and will never sell it but I nwant a good trigger. I can't comment on Berettas since I have never fired one. So the real question is, do you want something familiar or new?

(Greene County)

I think for this one I am looking for familiarity. New will come later

(Northampton County)

From the info you've provided, I'd probably be looking for a nice used Sig 229. (should run you ~$500) It has the SA/DA and external hammer you're looking for, as well as being more compact than the M9. In my hands the 229 is also significantly more accurate than the M9.

That said . . . I just replaced my 92A1 with an S&W M&P full size 9mm as my nightstand gun. I'm very pleased with the M&P and I like that they're offered with a manual safety.

If you decide to consider striker fired pistols, you may find my M&P write up interesting:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...r-m-p-9mm.html
    Last edited by BionicMan; December 5th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

(Pike County)

I also recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P series of striker fired pistols. I bought the full sized 9mm a few months back as my first pistol and I absolutely love it. It's accurate shooting better than I can and it's totally reliable eating cheap steel cased ammo like candy. It is also a very comfortable pistol pistol with replaceable back straps and best of all it's designed and built in America. Comes in your choice of compact, full sized (4.25 inch barrel) and the L model with a 5 inch barrel. Choices of caliber are the 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber. It's the best of it's class.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Greene County)

I will have to look into the M&P that is a nice looking pistol. I am sure it will be after christmas before the wife releases the funds. That should give me some time to check it out.

(Lancaster County)

I would recommend either a Ruger P95 or P89. You cant beat the price and they are similar enough to the M9 that it should take no time getting comfortable with it.

(McKean County)

I agree with the M&P. 3 sizes of gun and 3 sizes of grips. I don't normally recommend any caliber, but the .40 is a nice balance of a good defensive round and relatively inexpensive target ammo, since you mentioned that the gun will be dual purpose.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Greene County)

I ran into this site the other day, its just one sites opinon, but has some good information.

http://best9mm.com/

Seems a lot of people tend to consider the 9mm a little light for home defense use, but ammo cost, and the fact that my wife will be using as well is still having me lean towards the 9.

I think when I did a search for best defense caliber about 8 billion hits came up arguing the pros and cons of each. No need to get into that discussion at the moment

(Cumberland County)

CZ P07 Duty. 16 rounds, DA/SA, but convertible to SA only with a simple part switch. One of the ones I still regret getting rid of. They can be had new for around $400.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast