Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default reducing barrel length to 20"

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint LH in 308 1:12 with a 26" barrel mounted to an HS Precision stock. I also have a 700 VS LH in 223 with a 26" barrel. I am contemplating having the 308 cut down to 20". I would cut the 223 but it shoots beautifully with Black Hills 50gr V-Max. I won't ever put another type of ammo through it. The 308 is newer and I don't mind developing a handload for it. I may wind up shooting it @ 600yds if the opportunity arrives. Mostly between 100-300yds. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the results?
    Last edited by spblademaker; December 4th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Default Re: reducing barrel length to 20"

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint LH in 308 1:12 with a 26" barrel mounted to an HS Precision stock. I also have a 700 VS LH in 223 with a 26" barrel. I am contemplating having the 308 cut down to 20". I would cut the 223 but it shoots beautifully with Black Hills 50gr V-Max. I won't ever put another type of ammo through it. The 308 is newer and I don't mind developing a handload for it. I may wind up shooting it @ 600yds if the opportunity arrives. Mostly between 100-300yds. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the results? What was your handload recipe so I have a base to start from?
    If you don't already have a load for the .308, and don't mind working up a load for it, you shouldn't have any problems. I was going to mention that if you had a pet load for it, it would likely change. Since that's not the case, you don't have a lot to worry about.

You shouldn't have any problems shooting your .308 to 600 yards, or even further. Lots of guys shoot 20" .308's bolt guns 800 yards, and further. You have to have the right load to do it, but it's doable. Out to 600 yards, you won't have any problems at all. I haven't personally cut one down, but know guys that have, and they were satisfied with the results. There's good powders for the .308 that will burn in under 20". Since I don't shoot .308, I'll leave the reloads to others. If I was you, I'd start another thread for a recipe. It would be off topic to start loads here, and all the disclaimers aren't always mentioned in this section either. Best of luck.

What about developing a load that works for the .308 without cutting it? Maybe you've tried, I don't know. I used a WM 770 300 WM as a dummy rifle and got it shooting good with a 20" barrel (this rifle, BTW, has taught me a lot about what you can do to a rifle and make it shoot better), but by no means is it a heavy barrel now. What does the .308 do or not do at 26" that you don't like?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

I humped it through the woods this year. That's what it doesn't do well. Putting the bullet where I want it isn't a problem. But I am used to taking my rifle into open fields for varmints and the 26" barrel was not a good choice in the woods.
    So, yes, I could find a load that shoots perfectly in it's current configuration, as I have with my 223, and continue to shoot deer at shorter distances with my slug gun. But, I would like the ability to enjoy using my 308 in the areas I hunt now, as well as being able to take large game at farther than average distances if the opportunity arises.
    Last edited by spblademaker; December 5th, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

(Northampton County)

Sorry I did not respond back yesterday to your private message I did how ever get both of your pistols cerakoted and your 1911 is already assembled. If you left me a mag I be at the range shooting it. Good you did not . Anyway I don't have the equipment to recrown your muzzle but it is on my list of equipment to buy because I have been getting requests for this service. When I sell my 1941 Johnson and my garand and 2 O3 A3 series rifles I will have the capital for all my equipment on my list of things to get. We'll talk later I have to put your smith back together along with a CZ 82. Later Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Sorry I did not respond back yesterday to your private message I did how ever get both of your pistols cerakoted and your 1911 is already assembled. If you left me a mag I be at the range shooting it. Good you did not . Anyway I don't have the equipment to recrown your muzzle but it is on my list of equipment to buy because I have been getting requests for this service. When I sell my 1941 Johnson and my garand and 2 O3 A3 series rifles I will have the capital for all my equipment on my list of things to get. We'll talk later I have to put your smith back together along with a CZ 82. Later Brian / EFR
    You said, "Johnson"!

I'm in the same boat wanting a shorter lighter rifle for hunting. My FN Patrol Bolt and my Badger M2008 don't really cut it. For the first time in a long time, I found that not one rifle in my safe is suited for what I need it to be. I needed something light, accurate, and having enough power for deer. I found an answer in a Remington 700 SPS (not tactical, not varmint). It's in 243, I'm rebarreling it in 260 Remington, truing up the action, bedding it in a nicer stock, and putting a decent lower magnification scope on it. It will then be my dedicated deer rifle. Having a nice precision rig is great, but it sometimes doesn't get the job done, especially in the woods of PA. This is a project that I'll be chipping away at for the next year, so when the season rolls around again, it'll be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Centre County)

I'm in the process of having a rifle built for a Mcree Precision stock that I won at the storm mountain sniper comp in October. It will be my handy dandy folding stock precision rifle.

It will be an 18.5" bartlein barrel, m40/m24 contour chambered in 308. The end will have an FTE brake to rattle peoples fillings lose or blow dirt in their faces. Either way. Or both would be nice.

With the short barrel and folding stock, it will sit very nicely in an eberlestock pack and will be very compact for negotiating tight spaces. It will also not have an unweildy overall length with the suppressor on it. (18" + 9" = 27"). And the shorter length should drop some weight too.

Rifle is being built by jamie at wolf precision. Just waiting on the barrel to show up. Action is already done, trued, and ready to go. And I have the stock sitting at home collecting dust. Goal is to develop a load for it that retains most, if not all of the muzzle velocity I currently enjoy out of my 24" bartlein barrel and take it to 1000yds. We're convinced that we can appropriately hot rod a 308 load that works....or die trying. And if anyone can push the limits it's Jamie.

When it's finished and I test it out, I'll provide feedback.

For the record, I have never been a fan of shortening the barrel and sacrificing velocity. Velocity is king in my book. So if you're running a shorter barrel, make sure it's because you absolutely need it to be shorter.
    Last edited by arrrrgh15; December 5th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    I'm in the process of having a rifle built for a Mcree Precision stock that I won at the storm mountain sniper comp in October. It will be my handy dandy folding stock precision rifle.

It will be an 18.5" bartlein barrel, m40/m24 contour chambered in 308. The end will have an FTE brake to rattle peoples fillings lose or blow dirt in their faces. Either way. Or both would be nice.

With the short barrel and folding stock, it will sit very nicely in an eberlestock pack and will be very compact for negotiating tight spaces. It will also not have an unweildy overall length with the suppressor on it. (18" + 9" = 27"). And the shorter length should drop some weight too.

Rifle is being built by jamie at wolf precision. Just waiting on the barrel to show up. Action is already done, trued, and ready to go. And I have the stock sitting at home collecting dust. Goal is to develop a load for it that retains most, if not all of the muzzle velocity I currently enjoy out of my 24" bartlein barrel and take it to 1000yds. We're convinced that we can appropriately hot rod a 308 load that works....or die trying. And if anyone can push the limits it's Jamie.

When it's finished and I test it out, I'll provide feedback.

For the record, I have never been a fan of shortening the barrel and sacrificing velocity. Velocity is king in my book. So if you're running a shorter barrel, make sure it's because you absolutely need it to be shorter.
    Good job on winning the comp. Not sure how you post even comes close to answering my question. Got the last part about sacrificing velocity...shorter barrel...but you also discuss building an 18.5" barreled 308. Where are you going with this?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    Good job on winning the comp. Not sure how you post even comes close to answering my question. Got the last part about sacrificing velocity...shorter barrel...but you also discuss building an 18.5" barreled 308. Where are you going with this?
    You asked if anyone has ever done this. I haven't yet but I'm planning on it, and even planning on taking it shorter than 20" and will post feedback once it's done.

Point being it's probably doable, particularly if velocity is not a big concern. Which it doesn't sound like it's a big concern for you.

Chop your barrel off and have fun. Keep the extra 6" as a paper weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast