Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: To those here against Sunday Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    I don't recall that many ..if any stories of people being shot all to often that aren't hunting. Obviously the most recent being the prohibited lawer who wasn't supposed to have a gun in the first place . But the fact of people getting shot by hunters as you claim is irrelevant more people get shot in populated neighborhoods than in the woods and there are no hunters there .this is exactly the b.s. that the farm bureau is spreading to scare people away from Sunday hunting . While it is your right to have your opinion . Is is my right to openly disagree ....
    What do you base this fact on anyways
    You think someone being shot by a hunter is irrelevant??? If you don't remember anyone not hunting being shot then you don't pay much attention, it happens every year in PA. I can think of several over just the last few years, there was the lady that was shot in the face in her kitchen when a hunter shot through a deer and then through her window, another woman was shot in the head in a parking lot by duck hunters, both of those people lived I believe. I think it was the year before a lady was driving down the road and was shot in the neck, she died.

My mom is not an anti in any way, every male in her family either hunts or has hunted. She doesn't worry too much about the archery hunters other than messing up their hunt and making them mad. I've convinced her that it's ok during archery because I know practically everyone that hunts back there and they all know she rides there and understand they are taking a chance of seeing people if they hang a stand on one of the trails, there are more quads that ride those trails than horses. Once the gun seasons come in she will only go out on Sundays though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
    I don't have a problem with others wanting to hunt on Sunday. I personally won't hunt on Sunday, because

1) Sunday is for Church and family
    2) if I hunted on Sunday too, my wife would probably kill me

I also have a problem with all the hunters out there now, especially during firearms deer season, that can't seem to respect private property. My parents have a 94 acre farm, that myself, my father and my brother hunt, but we are always running into people claiming they have permission from the land owner to hunt there. Then we have to show them where they are trespassing, and the "No Trespassing" signs, and then we catch them on the property again the next day, or sometimes only a few hours later. We've had 6 guys arrested for trespassing over the last 2 years, all during firearm deer season, and all guys that we had to tell more than 2 times to get off the property. And then there is the issue of jackasses tearing up the ground in their trucks, and then saying we need to tow them out when we find them. They get the same answer every time, "Here's the number for a tow company, they'll be glad to pull you out for $150."

This past Saturday, we had a guy (in a tree about 30 yds from the house) who said he was going to call the WCO on us for interfering with his "lawful hunt", and I told him to go ahead, I was calling the real cops (not that WCO aren't cops) to have him arrested for trespassing, and that when the WCO got there he better have a good reason for being within 150 yds of the house and on land he didn't have permission to hunt. He left before the WCO or the cops got there.

Now if we open up hunting on Sunday's as well, my parents will have to deal with this shit EVERYDAY of the week? Maybe you guys that don't own land don't see the problem that some hunters are causing for the rest of us, but I see it first hand.
    i wouldnt have said a word to the guy in the tree . just call the authorities have them catch these assholes . that is the only way the bullshit is gonna stop.

and you said it sunday is for church and family
    this is the reason the law was put on the books .and is also part of the reason it should be removed ... separation of church and state

have trespasser prosecuted .....all of them
    i dont own land and i see your point about these douche bags but complaining about them wont help . have them arrested . if i did own land even 4 acres i would post it and if i saw a dickhead in a treestand on my land guess what i am making a call im not gonna walk out there and ask what he is doing... i know what he is doin and so does he........ he is breaking the law

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    You think someone being shot by a hunter is irrelevant??? If you don't remember anyone not hunting being shot then you don't pay much attention, it happens every year in PA. I can think of several over just the last few years, there was the lady that was shot in the face in her kitchen when a hunter shot through a deer and then through her window, another woman was shot in the head in a parking lot by duck hunters, both of those people lived I believe. I think it was the year before a lady was driving down the road and was shot in the neck, she died.

My mom is not an anti in any way, every male in her family either hunts or has hunted. She doesn't worry too much about the archery hunters other than messing up their hunt and making them mad. I've convinced her that it's ok during archery because I know practically everyone that hunts back there and they all know she rides there and understand they are taking a chance of seeing people if they hang a stand on one of the trails, there are more quads that ride those trails than horses. Once the gun seasons come in she will only go out on Sundays though.
    i said it doesnt happen all the often . i never said it doesnt happen at all . but like i said more people are shot on city street in one month where there are no hunters . than a decade in the woods where there are hunter with guns and bows and wompom sticks.

someone being shot by a hunter is not irrelevant it is unfortunate and i am happy it doesnt happen all to often i dont think it should happen at all
    but i dont think that it require . even a wco i talked to recently has said more people are injured in the woods from being tossed from a horse or hiking and rock climbing than having been injured by a hunter.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    i said it doesnt happen all the often . i never said it doesnt happen at all . but like i said more people are shot on city street in one month where there are no hunters . than a decade in the woods where there are hunter with guns and bows and wompom sticks.

someone being shot by a hunter is not irrelevant it is unfortunate and i am happy it doesnt happen all to often i dont think it should happen at all
    but i dont think that it require . even a wco i talked to recently has said more people are injured in the woods from being tossed from a horse or hiking and rock climbing than having been injured by a hunter.
    That I agree with, I personally know a girl that was killed when she was thrown from her horse, I don't know anyone that was killed by a hunter. There are more people killed from shooting themselves, falling from treestands or having heart attacks while hunting than are shot by hunters but that doesn't make it any less scary for people that don't hunt and want a day in the woods without worrying about hunters.

(Philadelphia County)

That I agree with, I personally know a girl that was killed when she was thrown from her horse, I don't know anyone that was killed by a hunter. There are more people killed from shooting themselves, falling from treestands or having heart attacks while hunting than are shot by hunters but that doesn't make it any less scary for people that don't hunt and want a day in the woods without worrying about hunters.
    Not a whole lot of non hunters know you can hunt ridley creek state park for archery its amazing I've had people ride walk jog and hike right under me and they had no idea I was even there they were not in any danger but I guarantee that if they announced that hunt is now allowed in the dailey times people would freak out about being shot at by hunters arrows even though we have been there unnoticed for years

(Venango County)

All of those instances you listed were not people in the woods during hunting season, they were in their house, on roads, etc...which Sunday hunting would not affect in the least.

Are you talking ALL gun seasons, or just regular deer season, which is 2 Sundays?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

And the woman wasn't shot in the head the duck hunters were in a near by field shot into the air and the shot rained down from the sky. Its not like he swept her with the muzzle

I understand that people trespassing or messing up your land is annoying, but I don't accept that as a reasonable excuse for no Sunday hunting. If you refuse to take action against the people breaking the law the other 6 days of the week, I won't feel bad for you if you continue to allow it on the 7th day. Post the land, call the police and insist on strict charges on the people breaking the law, and eventually you won't have to worry about it any day, let alone Sundays.

I find it funny that the same arguments used by people against carrying guns in general are the same used by other gun owners against those in favor of Sunday hunting. When someone says they're worried about being shot by hunters while hiking you accept it as a valid argument, but when that same person is worried about being shot by someone OC'ing in a restaurant we call them a crazy anti and point out that a few bad examples shouldn't prohibit the rest of us.

As someone who both hunts and hikes, I must say that I feel less likely to be injured hunting (on public land with a lot of people using it) than I do when I'm hiking or biking. And for the people who want their "one day to go outdoors without having to wear orange", than I suggest a trade; I'll take Sunday, and you can have Wednesday. After all, it isn't my problem that you have a busy schedule and can't get out all day during the week to hike.

(York County)

My mom and sister ride horses, they won't go out during hunting seasons except for Sundays.

Okay, this is what I was asking,,,
    Did they go Riding???It was Sunday. And no one could hunt...So were they out?
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(York County)

Hey Guys, The whole Trespassing issue to avoid Sunday Hunting is NOT a co-joined Issue.

Your trespassers are doing it during the Weekdays as well.

Pennsylvania will ALWAYS have a trespassing violation issue as long as the penalty is,,,,what???........ barely a slap on the hiny...

I've hunted and fished in many other states and for you that don't know, Pennsylvania has the most (Licensed) hunters hunting in other states in the nation. and also cause the most trespassing infractions in other states (sorry, I was told this by a NYS DNR, I have no cite).

But just try to trespass in NYS, you'll be Arrested. ARRESTED and fined.
    Try trespassing in Michigan, you think NYS is bad, you'll be ARRESTED and jailed!!
    Don't EVEN think about it in Colorado. I met a few ranchers out there that have no problem practicing the three SSS.

In Pennsylvania, land owners pollute the woodsline with posted/no tresspass signs. In Kansas, they are ONLY posted at the 'CORNERS" of the property!!!
    A mile square plot of CRP field requires only eight posted signs, "EIGHT". Do not do it, you'll be arrested by LE (maybe shot first by the landowner), and your vehicle impounded (probably to somewhere else).

What ALL lawful citizens in THIS STATE need to do is instruct our reps in Harrisburg to enact real "No Trespassing" legislation and make it the CRIME it is.
    Trust me, it'll (un-lawful trespassing) end over night.

Now, alls' I wanted to know is "What the non-pro Sunday hunting crown did this Sunday"?
    Not start another debate, i think there is a thread on that.
    Last edited by Gun Bowanna; December 6th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast