Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Where to buy recommendations

Hi all. New here to ask for help, sorry if this is not posted in the right area.

Let me start by saying, I am NOT a gun guy........ Just have never been into them for some reason. Hunted when I was a kid a couple of time, shot rabbit with a .22 but 40 years later, I haven't had the interest.

However, this has not carried over to my children..... My oldest son who lives in Downingtown Pa., wants a Mosin Nagant for Christmas, so I bought him one. Now I need the ammo for it. What is the better ammo and what would be the worst, and most important, who is the best to buy these from?

Appreciate the help.

Default Re: Where to buy recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jjobe05 View Post
    Hi all. New here to ask for help, sorry if this is not posted in the right area.

Let me start by saying, I am NOT a gun guy........ Just have never been into them for some reason. Hunted when I was a kid a couple of time, shot rabbit with a .22 but 40 years later, I haven't had the interest.

However, this has not carried over to my children..... My oldest son who lives in Downingtown Pa., wants a Mosin Nagant for Christmas, so I bought him one. Now I need the ammo for it. What is the better ammo and what would be the worst, and most important, who is the best to buy these from?

Appreciate the help.
    There's a lot of surplus ammo available for these cheap as well as commercial ammo. The surplus is corrosive but is great ammo and very accurate. Just remember to clean immediately after shooting and you'll have no problems with it. It's a cheap alternative to buying commercial ammo. If you want to use the gun to hunt with then commercial hunting loads are available. Look here to compare. http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x54R

SGAmmo has the best deal once you consider shipping. It's flatrate and the same to anywhere. They have a lot of choices for surplus if you don't want to buy an 880rd crate. If you decide to get 880rds I would get the crated deal because it comes with the opener for the tins. http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r

Here's a forum devoted mostly to the Mosin Nagant and if you have any questions about these from the proper cleaning procedure after using military surplus to where and when it was made check here. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/index.php

(Lancaster County)

This might help:

AmmoSeek

Self-explanatory. I'm not up on a lot of ammo nuance but most other forum members wold be able to steer you clear of the stuff not to buy.
    Johnnie F.

(Washington County)

gun-deals.com is the first place to check for all the prices,

AIMSurplus is a good retailer as well

Thanks all.

I looked at ammoseek and it lead me to the other recommendation, SGAmmo, and i purchased from them, nice selection. Also got some 46 grain so he can get use to shooting with less recoil.

Appreciate the help, and the link to the mosin nagant forum, I'll check them out.

Thanks again.