Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Unlocked / open doors?

So i was reading some old posts and saw a statement saying "why didn't you lock your door as soon as you got home?" or along those lines. The discussion revolved around CC / OC / self defense in the home.

How much is it on everyone's mind that someone may come into your house univited to do you harm during day time while you are awake/there? Is that something you worry about, and if so do you always close and lock doors?

I ask because after reading the post about locking the door I looked over at my open and unlocked door. I like to let the fresh air in and circulate on the nice days. My screen door doesn't lock. I was OC btw in the level 1 plastic piece of junk that comes with an XD-S.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Unlocked / open doors?

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    So i was reading some old posts and saw a statement saying "why didn't you lock your door as soon as you got home?" or along those lines. The discussion revolved around CC / OC / self defense in the home.

How much is it on everyone's mind that someone may come into your house univited to do you harm during day time while you are awake/there? Is that something you worry about, and if so do you always close and lock doors?

I ask because after reading the post about locking the door I looked over at my open and unlocked door. I like to let the fresh air in and circulate on the nice days. My screen door doesn't lock. I was OC btw in the level 1 plastic piece of junk that comes with an XD-S.
    I guess it would depend on location, how comfortable you are with being able to respond and other variables.
    My house is open right now but I also have 2 German Shepherd Dogs roaming the house and property in a rural setting.

(Franklin County)

During the day, nice weather, we often have one or more doors unlocked and/or open with just a screen door closed. these doors are within a fenced and gated yard so someone would have to enter a yard to get access to the door. I also live in a rural area with low crime and have a large breed dog who will give notice of anyone who comes up the driveway.
    I grew up in rural Indiana, we commonly had the doors unlocked, sometimes even over night or when we were gone, it's just the way it was, our neighbors were the same way. It's tough to let go of the good old days, I refuse to live in a locked down fortress. unlocked doors may be a risk but in the area we live in, I consider the risk minimal.

(Delaware County)

If Mrs.K is out of town I keep the door locked at all times. I occasionally spend extended periods in the basement where my woodshop (and my brandy new reloading press ) live, and I wear earplugs when using the power tools, so I don't want to not hear someone open the door who shouldn't. I also don't feel like cleaning up after spreading someone's entrails over my abode - I'd much rather just hose off the front steps.

(Montgomery County)

There was a recent home invasion near me, in a nice neighborhood. The perps approached the home owner in his own driveway, forced into his house & robbed him.

Here's the kicker: they targeted him because they knew he was a gun owner, and wanted his guns. From what I understand, this is becoming more common. Situational awareness is always required, even in a nice neighborhood and in your own driveway.

Obviously having dog(s) would go a long way in being warned as well. I still may have an unlocked door on a nice day, but I always investigate when the dog barks, and always have a firearm on me or nearby.

(Lycoming County)

My front door is pretty much always locked. We never use it and friends and family know to come to the side door. The side door which is the one everybody uses is usually locked when I am asleep during the day (I work at nite mostly). If I'm home and awake it is usually open along with the windows when it is nice out. My wife keeps everything locked up tight when I'm away and we always lock the door when nobody's here. I live in a rural area as well but there has been some break ins lately and they usually occurred during the day while the home owners were at work.

I figure I might as well not make it easy for them to get in anyway. This is mostly for their protection as I am usually not in a good mood when I am woken up and keep a Mossberg 500 in the bedroom along with my wifes .357.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced View Post
    There was a recent home invasion near me, in a nice neighborhood. The perps approached the home owner in his own driveway, forced into his house & robbed him.

Here's the kicker: they targeted him because they knew he was a gun owner, and wanted his guns. From what I understand, this is becoming more common. Situational awareness is always required, even in a nice neighborhood and in your own driveway.

Obviously having dog(s) would go a long way in being warned as well. I still may have an unlocked door on a nice day, but I always investigate when the dog barks, and always have a firearm on me or nearby.
    ^^^This^^^

I always at least have my bug in my front pocket even when I am just lounging around the house.

(Mercer County)

Unless I'm working around the house and going in and out a lot, my doors are always locked. My doors won't stop anybody, but they'll have to make a lot of noise to get through them.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lackawanna County)

We leave the door open, and the screeen door closed and locked. I don't worry so much; the husband carries until he goes to sleep, and we have two big, loud, scary-looking dogs. Also, our next door neighbor has a German Shepard that barks when the wind changes, and also walks around armed at all times.l

(Delaware County)

My door is always locked unless I am sitting within eye-sight of it.

Is this not the way everyone else is?
    Junior

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast