Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Cool I live on lake Erie , Can I carry on my boat in lake Erie?

I am very unclear on weather I can carry a firearm on my boat or not? Nothing clearly stated anywhere. Does anyone know?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: I live on lake Erie , Can I carry on my boat in lake Erie?

While in PA waters you will need a LTCF or a license from any other state. If you venture into OH or NY waters you will have to abide by those states' laws(in NY possession is illegal without a NY permit).

Canadian laws dictate Canadian waters.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Dumb question, how do you tell who's jurisdition you are in? I know the coast line is X number of miles out to sea is still US waters but on the lakes are there set bounders or do different states and even Canada have different lines that you would need charts and GPS to tell where you are.Just asking since it was brought up.

(Indiana County)

It's not like the ocean, where there's a three-mile limit. On the Great Lakes, each and every one of them, the state, provincial, or international boundary should be clearly marked on nautical charts.

It's the vessel master's job and responsibility to know where his vessel is, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    It's not like the ocean, where there's a three-mile limit. On the Great Lakes, each and every one of them, the state, provincial, or international boundary should be clearly marked on nautical charts.

It's the vessel master's job and responsibility to know where his vessel is, at all times.
    ^^^ This. ^^^

There is no "should" about it. Boundaries are marked on maps and charts. Driving a boat is no different from driving a car -- the driver needs to be aware when he crosses from one jurisdiction into another.

For example, while not good enough for navigation, here's a map that shows the boundaries clearly enough to give anyone at least a rough idea what to be looking for:

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

It's 12, as in nautical. Unlike ocean territorial waters, inland waters have no innocent passage, which means control belongs to the state or the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wallyone View Post
    Dumb question, how do you tell who's jurisdition you are in? I know the coast line is X number of miles out to sea is still US waters but on the lakes are there set bounders or do different states and even Canada have different lines that you would need charts and GPS to tell where you are.Just asking since it was brought up.

For Lake Erie there really isn't federal waters. Each of the respective states borders Canada. PA's waters goes to the international line.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

As a boater you should have already got your charts on hand.

You are talking about several states and an international country here , you need to know what's what and where's where.

(Erie County)

Talking Re: I live on lake Erie , Can I carry on my boat in lake Erie?

Thanks for the help, I use gps so I know exactly when I am in "other waters". They don't make it easy to find Info on this subject anywhere.

(Lancaster County)

Even though I was not the one who ask, I found it interesting. The map that Greywolf posted was helpful in that it looks like PA does not have that big a claim to Lake Erie as say OH, NY, and Canada. Very interesting and thank you guys for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast