Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default When should you disclose?

Hey guys,

My buddies and I got into a conversation the other day that I was hoping to get some opinions on:

Some were under the belief that if you are, for example, pulled over for a traffic violation and are carrying concealed, you must disclose that you are carrying.

Then some thought that PA does not have a law requiring that you disclose, and that you shouldn't bother because it could only create more trouble most of the time if the cop doesn't know the law.

The rest said that it isn't the law, but it can be a good idea to disclose anyway sometimes, depending on the circumstances. Some of the guys started to get pretty heated haha. What are your thoughts?

To be honest, I really wasn't sure what the right answer was and i feel like it's something I should definitely know.......

Default Re: When should you disclose?

Lots of threads on this already. But briefly... no law in PA to disclose so it comes down to personal choice.

One answer is never to disclose unless there's a chance of the cop spotting your gun, then tell him about it calmly while informing that you are licensed to carry it.

"Officer, I am licensed to carry a handgun and I have one (or two or three, etc!) with me. It is located _______".

(Delaware County)

(Washington County)

What Goon said.

(Northumberland County)

I got pinched for speeding thanksgiving day, I was carrying but did not feel any need to inform the officer. As a general rule for traffic stops if I'm staying in the car they don't need to know. If I'm asked to step out it's time to let them know.

(Lancaster County)

thanks guys. Appreciate it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Quigar57 View Post
    I got pinched for speeding thanksgiving day, I was carrying but did not feel any need to inform the officer. As a general rule for traffic stops if I'm staying in the car they don't need to know. If I'm asked to step out it's time to let them know.
    This

No reason to let them know for a simple traffic stop. Get your DL, insurance, registration out and have it in hand before the officer comes to the window. Keep both hands on the wheel and don't do anything stupid.

Everybody involved is at their safest with your firearm in its holster where it belongs. Disclosing opens the door to potentially being disarmed and having your firearm pointed at you, your wife, your kids and everybody else on the road while the officer fumbles to clear an unfamiliar weapon.

It has been stated numerous times by city PD and PSP officers on this forum that their computer systems DO NOT give any indication that you have a LTCF when pulling you over.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Venango County)

I usually have my hands on the wheel in plain sight. I have the window cracked to talk. If they are uniformed and ask, I'll wind it down further or place in neutral/park whatever they desire.

I then say my registration and insurance is in the glove box, is it ok to reach for it? If they say sure or ok, I get the docs. Then I state that my DL is in my wallet which is in the right inside pocket of my jacket, is it ok or can I get it now?

I usually don't inform. I have only been stopped a handful of times in my lifetime and I have never had to exit the vehicle (knock on wooden grips); so never had to inform in that situation.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Couldn't tell ya, 16 years of driving and I've only been pulled over once. That time was on 9/11 as I was crossing the PA/NY border and the cop said they were stopping any out of state vehicles to look for suspicious activity (not sure if that was legal for them to be doing that, but given the circumstances I didn't mind), so speeding wasn't involved nor were any guns.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JTokash View Post
    Couldn't tell ya, 16 years of driving and I've only been pulled over once. That time was on 9/11 as I was crossing the PA/NY border and the cop said they were stopping any out of state vehicles to look for suspicious activity (not sure if that was legal for them to be doing that, but given the circumstances I didn't mind), so speeding wasn't involved nor were any guns.
    No, that was not legal. They have to have reasonable suspicion (i.e. specifically articulable suspicious activity has to already be going on) before they can stop you. They can't stop you and then look for something suspicious.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast