Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: VERY VERY UPSET, balloon popped!

Good luck with the surgery...I've known a couple people who got it and were THRILLED with their results. It will serve you well no matter what job you get.

You might be able to get a medical loan, interest free, and pay it off that way too. My parents never got me braces so I finally did, and used a two year interest free medical loan. (Going on three years with the things on, can't wait to get them off!)
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

There is a lasik doctor located beside the colonial park mall that states they will do it for $999 per eye...

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    There is a lasik doctor located beside the colonial park mall that states they will do it for $999 per eye...
    Much like tattoo artists, I think that the choice of eye surgeon is probably best not made based on price.

(Clearfield County)

Default Lasik and ACT 235

I have been in some form or another of LE for about 30 years now. I was always near sighted and about 10 years ago, I had lasik. I paid more than the going rate at the time to have it done by a cornea surgeon, around $5000. He used the blade system. The most uncomfortable part of the whole thing was the gizmo they use to hold your eyes open, mine was painless. I do have to admit the idea of a razorblade slicing my eye did give an unpleasant mental image! My vison within 10 days tested at 20/20 and 20/15 in the right and left eyes respectively. I never questioned the decision or the money, I was very satisfied.

In 2006, I took the ACT 235 that was paid by my retirement job. What some folks forget is that there are two certifications, one with firearms and one without. I have the firearms certification and now am certified to instruct the firearms part. My guess is that some security companies, even with unarmed staff, want to have some documentation of standardized training for all positions--armed with firearms or not. I hope this information helps and good luck to you.

(Northampton County)

I appreciate all of the info going into surgery, it gives me a great idea as to what to expect for the routine. I am just looking forward to having it done, so I can FINALLY move forward with getting something moving with the ACT training. I know that there are thoughts on both sides of the equation in reference to if ACT 235 is or was worth it, but I have seen and would be happy at this point in my life if I were able to get something that would pay me $14.00 - $15.00 an hour, which is what I am looking for.

In the meantime while waiting for the LASIK, I am also taking some generalized security training to make the resume just that more attractive I am hoping, so I will not take a $10.00 an hour job, but would be most happy with the larger amounts, and they seem to be around, I just need to get the ACT going now.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Washington County)

Default Re: VERY VERY good Lasix, and cheap:

Quote Originally Posted by LongOneShortOne View Post
    Book a vacation to Singapore. Eor in some work alongside their LEO departments, and take a tax-deduction as well. Lasix, runs about US$200.
    Lasic does not fix all eye problems, and can make other things worse.

The $4K probably is for proper corrective surgery. I bit the bullet and did it, factoring ti would be easier and cheaper than my regiment of contacts and eyeglasses for a decent amount of time. Look up Associates in Ophthalmology in Pittsburgh, the staff and doctors there did mine and my wife's, and have worked with a few of our friends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    I appreciate all of the info going into surgery, it gives me a great idea as to what to expect for the routine. I am just looking forward to having it done, so I can FINALLY move forward with getting something moving with the ACT training. I know that there are thoughts on both sides of the equation in reference to if ACT 235 is or was worth it, but I have seen and would be happy at this point in my life if I were able to get something that would pay me $14.00 - $15.00 an hour, which is what I am looking for.

In the meantime while waiting for the LASIK, I am also taking some generalized security training to make the resume just that more attractive I am hoping, so I will not take a $10.00 an hour job, but would be most happy with the larger amounts, and they seem to be around, I just need to get the ACT going now.
    I dunno if they are still armed, but you can see what Dorney Park pays. I worked there many seasons... it's definitely not as easy (or as safe) as you might think, but it's an easy job to get if you're looking for something around the time the season opens. If they aren't still doing armed guards, then I would pass. It's not worth it otherwise, IMO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234