Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Road killed deer

After an unsuccesful season and no meat in my freezer and a tight wallet. I recall the wco at my hunter ed course mentioning having a list of people that want deer that are hit by cars and get hung up on fences . I am lookng for info on how to get my name on that list . I know that there are wco's on this forum . Any feedback and info would be greatly appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Road killed deer

I'm not sure, but this guy might know:

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    After an unsuccesful season and no meat in my freezer and a tight wallet. I recall the wco at my hunter ed course mentioning having a list of people that want deer that are hit by cars and get hung up on fences . I am lookng for info on how to get my name on that list . I know that there are wco's on this forum . Any feedback and info would be greatly appreciated.
    Contact the PGC Region Office at (610) 926-3136 or (610) 926-3137 and ask to be put in touch with Jerry Czech, the WCO for Philadelphia County.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Fed View Post
    Contact the PGC Region Office at (610) 926-3136 or (610) 926-3137 and ask to be put in touch with Jerry Czech, the WCO for Philadelphia County.
    Thanks alot

(Monroe County)

keep in mind, the VAST majority of road kill animals are destroyed and nearly worthless. After a blunt trauma like a car hitting it the entire area (normally front and back) will be blood shot and no good. Unless it gets hit in the front quarter and doesn't have a secondary impact you won't get much off it. I've helped process roadkill deer that we got 30+ pounds of meat off, I've helped on others where we stopped skinning it because it wasn't worth it

Most people who want road kill deer will be feeding it to other animals (wolves, lions, coyotes, bears... etc) not eating it.

Also there is a very limited window between time of killing it and how long it will be good, be sure you aren't eating tainted meat .
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    keep in mind, the VAST majority of road kill animals are destroyed and nearly worthless. After a blunt trauma like a car hitting it the entire area (normally front and back) will be blood shot and no good. Unless it gets hit in the front quarter and doesn't have a secondary impact you won't get much off it. I've helped process roadkill deer that we got 30+ pounds of meat off, I've helped on others where we stopped skinning it because it wasn't worth it

Most people who want road kill deer will be feeding it to other animals (wolves, lions, coyotes, bears... etc) not eating it.

Also there is a very limited window between time of killing it and how long it will be good, be sure you aren't eating tainted meat .
    Good point but the way this guys was talkin he was calling the people if he has to shoot it and I don't think to many people in philly own large carnivores to feed. I would never consume something that was dead on the side of the road without knowing how long its been there yuck . But if a wco shoots it dead himself then I know its fresh and once I open it up is when ill see the extent of the damage .does that sound correct

I picked up a fresh road kill once, and only once.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I picked up a fresh road kill once, and only once.
    That bad huh

(Monroe County)

Good point but the way this guys was talkin he was calling the people if he has to shoot it and I don't think to many people in philly own large carnivores to feed. I would never consume something that was dead on the side of the road without knowing how long its been there yuck . But if a wco shoots it dead himself then I know its fresh and once I open it up is when ill see the extent of the damage .does that sound correct
    no, you don't know its fresh. if its severely wounded that means its pretty trashed and will now have a bullet hole in both shoulders. plus the longer an animal is "wounded" the meat gets tougher and bad tasting from the added adrenalin. you can absolutely taste a big difference between a deer that's been wounded for a day or 2 and then finished off and a quick kill.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get on the list, I'm just saying don't expect a lot of good deer to be flowing into your shop. Also if you aren't doing your own processing there would really be no $$$ value to doing this.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

That bad huh
    if you've ever processed a deer, imagine the area around where the bullet goes in, now make that area cover 3/4 of the deer, combined with shattered bones and if you don't get to it within a couple of hours you can add in rigermortis (sp?) to the list of fun shit to deal with.

really unless the animal is hit in the head or just clipped in the front shoulder but didn't have any secondary impact you aren't going to want it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast