Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Highland Park, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Anterless Deer Requirements???

    So this is my second year hunting and my first year getting doe tags. I couldn't take any time off work so I am going out Saturday to my cousin's farm. I am very excited because last year I saw several doe that strolled by me as if they knew I didn't have a tag for them.

    My question though, is if there are any restrictions on size or anything, like how a buck has to have so many points. (I know a deer with antlers both of which less than 3 inches is considered anterless) I read through the PA Hunting digest that came with my license, I looked at the PAGC website and looked over this site and saw nothing. This may seem like a stupid question to some of you who have grown up hunting but I didn't have that luxury so I am trying to learn the right way to do all this. I would hate to mistakenly break the law/make an unethical kill because I didn't know any better.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Age
    32
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    There is no size requirement, just antlerless. If you are concerned about size, usually the doe leading the rest is the oldest and biggest. Also deer that are alone are usually young, small deer. Plus deer that are alone are hard to judge size without another deer to compare it to. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    30
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    181060

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    No size requirement. Anterless starts Sat. Dec. 3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Highland Park, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Raccoon City, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    2746900

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Just a heads up, button bucks are usually alone this time of year. You can shoot them, as they count as antler less deer. If you want to let them grow a couple of years then look hard at the loners foreheads to make sure that they are button bucks and decide accordingly.
    WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Westminster, Colorado
    Age
    28
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    10456

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    No requirements, but I'll make a suggestion. Shoot the little ones, they taste better. Bring a brown marker in case you need to color in some spots.*













    *kidding about that last part

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ambridge, Pennsylvania
    (Beaver County)
    Posts
    1,126
    Rep Power
    400584

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    No requirements, but I'll make a suggestion. Shoot the little ones, they taste better.
    Agreed. Think Veal when they are that small.
    I usually go for the mid sized one if there is a few. 2 year old doe is perfect size and quantity of meat with taste.
    Steel Valley Casting is your source for hard cast and powder coated bullets.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,553
    Rep Power
    851988

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Well, unless I read the hunting and trapping digest wrong, there is one callout I can think of. Be careful because if a deer has a spike on one side and no antler on the other, I believe this is not considered antlered or antlerless, thus protected. (page 39)

    An antlerless deer will remain defined as a deer without antlers, or a deer with antlers both of which are less than three inches in length.
    A protected deer is one not defined as an antlered deer or an antlerless deer.


    I know it might sound picky but I did see a deer this year with one spike, that was very tough to see, on one side, and no antler on the other. I almost shot it, thinking it was a doe. It was walking toward me so I was very patient as it walked closer. At it turned it's head I caught a glimpse of the spike. In later discussion, most people said it was antlerless but as I read the book, that does not seem to be the case.
    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."
    - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Westminster, Colorado
    Age
    28
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    10456

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    Well, unless I read the hunting and trapping digest wrong, there is one callout I can think of. Be careful because if a deer has a spike on one side and no antler on the other, I believe this is not considered antlered or antlerless, thus protected. (page 39)

    An antlerless deer will remain defined as a deer without antlers, or a deer with antlers both of which are less than three inches in length.
    A protected deer is one not defined as an antlered deer or an antlerless deer.
    I think it's safe to assume that a deer with only 1 spike less than 3 inches is still considered antlerless. Unless it is a unicorn, it still has both antlers, but one is not visible (probably broken), and that antler would measures 0 inches. Since 0 is 'less than 3 inches', and the other was also less than 3 inches, the deer would legally be 'antlerless'.

    The only time your scenario would be true is if it actually had only 1 central antler (like a unicorn), which was less than 3 inches. If that was the case, I'd probably still shoot it anyway, because no one would believe you without any proof, and it's enough of a gray area that I doubt you'd run into any trouble. Although I heard you're cursed if you kill a unicorn, so I might think twice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,553
    Rep Power
    851988

    Default Re: Anterless Deer Requirements???

    Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that a deer with only 1 spike less than 3 inches is still considered antlerless. Unless it is a unicorn, it still has both antlers, but one is not visible (probably broken), and that antler would measures 0 inches. Since 0 is 'less than 3 inches', and the other was also less than 3 inches, the deer would legally be 'antlerless'.

    The only time your scenario would be true is if it actually had only 1 central antler (like a unicorn), which was less than 3 inches. If that was the case, I'd probably still shoot it anyway, because no one would believe you without any proof, and it's enough of a gray area that I doubt you'd run into any trouble. Although I heard you're cursed if you kill a unicorn, so I might think twice.
    I bring it up because I saw one with a spike that was about 6" high on one side and on the other, it came up and appeared to be curled back toward his head. Technically, it's not antlerless by the definition in the digest.

    It wasn't a unicorn. I knew that right away because there were zero Obama/Biden stickers on it.
    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."
    - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

Similar Threads

  1. Second Round Anterless - 8/2
    By Dredly in forum Hunting
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
  2. available anterless license
    By tlh in forum General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
  3. OC Requirements, to be sure.
    By jcabin in forum General
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 10th, 2008, 04:47 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops