Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 357 vs 327 MAG

Default 357 vs 327 MAG

I'm in the market for a revolver; most likely an SP101; I've been tossing around the idea of the 327 Fed Mag for about a year and now that the time is here I'm getting gun shy. I've had 2 of them in 357mag and love them, I'll be going with the 3" barrel either way; I would like to hear from you guys who have something in 327 and what your thoughts are on the round. I will use it for fun at the range and carry for defense so ammo availability, recoil, round power/effectiveness vs something like the 357 or even 38+P, reloading is a big one, are the dies the same as the 32 H&R? Convince me this round is a good round and also here to stay.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; December 1st, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: 357 vs 327 MAG

I bought an SP101 in .327 Fed Mag. The first time I shot it, I knew I had to make some adjustments to the gun. Recoil was snappy using Speer 115 gr HPs. My finger was bloody from a slice the sharp line of the trigger guard. The 85 grain HydraShocks were easier on the hand.

I took some emery cloth wrapped around a dowel and broke the sharp lines around the trigger and trigger guard. That helped a lot.

I dry fired the SP101 over 15,000 times, which smoothed the action.

CorBon tells me that a DPX load is to be made. When that is released, I'll get a couple of boxes to test fire in my SP101. If the DPX works as I expect, it will be my carry load in the .327.

I have picked up some Eagle 100 gr SPs, a box of 50 goes for under $30 at Cabela's.

A pancake holster for the SP101 was ordered from Lobo Gun Leather after the SP101 took a tumble out of a Don Hume JIT and cost me $200 for a replacement common household fixture. (On a side note, I like JITs for semi-autos, but have learned not rely upon one for revolvers.)

.32 H&R dies work. Here is a link that may help you:
    http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar168.htm

I like the gun and cartridge, and having one additional chamber over a S&W J-frame .357 Mag is a slight advantage.

Tuff Products makes Quick Strips and a Quick Strip Tactical Holster Pouch for the .327 Federal Magnum. I have an HKS Speed loader for the gun/ammo, but generally just carry the Tuff stuff because it is flatter at my belt line.

A 3" barreled revolver, with six shots in a decent caliber. I like the combination.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I used to get the bloody finger from my SP101's in 357 too. I figured it out and fixed the trigger the same as you did.
    I read the story from realguns last night part 1&2, and it's making me lean over to it more and putting my mind to rest a bit with availability and reloading. I agree with the extra round but never had an issue with the Don Hume holsters, but in a fairness I only used one for a short time with my S&W442 then got a Lobo.
    You actually answered a question I didn't ask about speed loaders/strips; kind of glad to see some support behind the round.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Convince me this round is a good round and also here to stay.
    Executive summary: If you want it and can load your own ammo, get it.

Long, rambling version: It's a good cartridge. I don't have a .327 (yet), but I like revolvers, I like small calibers, and it's good to see a new entry fitting in the wide gap between .22 and .357/.38 calibers.

However, I think Federal & Ruger messed up when they decided to market this as a "mini magnum" cartridge. The comparisons to .357 Mag are inevitable and intentional (even the arbitrary designation ".327" was chosen because it sounds like ".357"). Compared to the venerable .357, the .327 Mag comes up short in terms of versatility and ultimate power.

Instead, I think of the .327 Mag as equivalent to a 9mm +P+, 115 gr, 1,300 fps load that just happens to be in a revolver case. In that context, it's a very respectable (although limited-purpose) defensive round. That's a lot of bang in a small frame gun, and with an SP101, you'll have zero concerns about durability and reliability (as opposed to running hot 9mm in a pocket auto).

Is it here to stay? It will probably stick around in a limited way (heck, you can still buy factory .32 short ammo), but after 3 years, it hasn't exactly burst into the mainstream. The scarcity of practice / plinking ammo is a real problem. If Federal actually wants the .327 to succeed, they should be cranking out cheap FMJ and making sure it's on the shelves of every Walmart and Dick's in the country.

Both S&W and Taurus .327 revolvers have been selling cheap recently, which suggests excess inventory, and might foreshadow discontinued products. Ruger seems to be committed for the long run.

very true renalp. The 327 doesn't fall that short of the 357mag in the link provided by RLS. The 357mag made 575 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and the 327 made 500 even, also the 357sig made 506 so your +P+ comparison is pretty spot on. But when you think of "oddball" calibers like the 357sig or 10mm and the 327mag they are all pricey to buy. I will reload for it but the brass has to come from somewhere and that's usually factory ammo, Cabela's has them for under $30 for FMJ and my LGS has them for $25 for a box o' 50. My biggest issue with the reloads is 32H&R ammo is pricey as hell 32S&W long...why would you??? But the 38 can be had anywhere and so can 357mag and they are both less cost then the 327mag. In the 32 caliber, the 327 is prolly the least expensive to shoot.
    I agree with you about the limited way it will be around, very close to the 10mm and 357sig, those that have it love it and those who don't have all the questions I do. I think it is and will be a great round but I have my doubts about the direction it's going for the next few years with availability. I hope it catches on and availability/prices get better but we'll see.

So I went to my my LGS today and fired the Ruger SP101 327 Fed. It recoils very light. I fired Federal 100gr jacketed soft points and it truly had less recoil than my S&W442. After the first round I started to question where the power actually is cause it feels like a Kel Tec P32. Maybe the weight of the gun is taming it but I've had 2 SP101 Ruger's in 357 and they are beasts. I'm still tossed up about it, questioning the effectiveness; which could be my mind playing trick on me. The one thing is still true, I hate the rear sight blade! I like small revolvers with the rear notch in the frame, seems like it would be something to get snagged or break, the damn thing felt loose. Anyway I finally fired one and I like it but I expected more recoil which is now making me think the caliber is anemic but that's not what tests show.

You are welcome. *Klutch*.

The only model of Don Hume I have had trouble with is the JIT, in regards to revolvers. I have had more than one revolver make its own way out of a JIT. I have never had any trouble using a JIT with a semi-auto.

One other thing, Ruger has made, and again makes, a .22 LR SP101. The .22 is a 4" barrel, but is still a cheaper alternative to practice with the same model gun.

Rick

I'll most likely get another Lobo holster and just call it a day. I also reload for everything I shoot so I will get some dies and work up a nice plinking load and look for the 100 gr Speer GDHP for my SD load.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    So I went to my my LGS today and fired the Ruger SP101 327 Fed.
    Curious where you find one to try out. Was this a range rental?

My LGS is also a gunsmith, they have 2 or 3 of them for sale, I was waffling back and forth about the caliber and the 357mag so he said "would you like to fire it?" I said "hell yes!" so we went in the back room and off to the left is a 10ft test range. So he dropped half the door and said "aim a little left cause otherwise a piece may fly back at you". so I did and got hit in the face with a piece on the 2nd shot and was bleeding. But I went back today and bought the gun so it worked. This gun is awesome! I went to the range which is 2 minutes from the shop and put 30 rounds through it for grins; and I am still grinning.