Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Hey wheel gun guys!

So I've got a main carry pistol, bought an saiga to do an ak47 conversion on, settled on a pocket pistol for summer carry. Now its time to pick a revolver. This has proved a slightly harder task. I'm looking for something with a medium length barrel perhaps 5-6" in .357 or .44 mag, but every thing seems to either be huge or out of my price range of around $500. main reason i want it is to carry while hiking in bear country and possibly use for deer hunting but more for hiking.

any help will be appreciated.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Hey wheel gun guys!

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    So I've got a main carry pistol, bought an saiga to do an ak47 conversion on, settled on a pocket pistol for summer carry. Now its time to pick a revolver. This has proved a slightly harder task. I'm looking for something with a medium length barrel perhaps 5-6" in .357 or .44 mag, but every thing seems to either be huge or out of my price range of around $500. main reason i want it is to carry while hiking in bear country and possibly use for deer hunting but more for hiking.

any help will be appreciated.
    I have been looking for some bear protection as well .... actually just a bad ass revolver.
    the 2 i have been looking at are

Ruger red hawk
    Taurus Raging bull

and then there is the s&w 629

i would go with a .44 mag over a .357

just my opinion
    but i have heard good things about all three

(Philadelphia County)

the ruger and the taurus can be had for about 599 new and 450.00 to 500 used

(Elk County)

Find a 357 Magnum S&W Model 686, either 4" or 6", new or used. Can't go wrong with either the cartridge or the revolver.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Smith or Ruger

Hiking in bear country? ...I'd go with .44mag Smith or Ruger.

In .357mag, and a sweet piece, check out a Smith 627Pro. 8 shot cylinder. Although it'll probably go over the $500, but take a look at it anyway.

I have a 4" and it shoots and carries like a dream. Trigger is excellent out of the box.

Put a set of Ahrends grips on it to your liking, (I do not like rubber grips... I don't even use them on my .44's... just my 2 cents) and you will have a hot revolver.

Carries great too in a Galco Dual Position Phoenix OWB leather holster. That will allow crossdraw or strongside. Very comfortable.

The .357mag is still an excellent round with todays defensive ammo, or load your own hot rounds if you reload.

Still though, bear country I think I would bring my Smith 629 along for the hike.

(Monroe County)

Hard to beat the S&W trigger...soooo smoooth...like butta! When you say bear country, did you mean black bear country or something a like polar bear country? I have a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. I rarely practice with it because it recoils a lot more than my Taurus 608 357 Mag. For hunting I would take the 44 mag. because you determine when to shoot. For defense I favor the 357 mag. because you will probably need to take multiple shots. Easier to get back on target with the 357 Mag. If you get jumped by a bear you probably won't have to worry about shooting it anyway. Research shows that bears hate the smell of poop and that's what gunna be in your shorts! Don't forget to take practice and cost of practice into account.
    Last edited by spblademaker; November 30th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

One of the most overlooked revolvers is the Dan Wesson. In the line that you are looking for: Model 15 (or 715), Model 44 (or 744) if you want 44mag. Be sure that it's the ones made in Monson, MA. Also, the Colt Trooper MK III or MK V if you are sticking to 357mag.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Taurus Tracker .44 mag. w/4" ported barrel. Very well built, lifetime warranty, very accurate out to 75 yds or so. $459.00 NIB at GunsAmerica. I have a dealer in the town I live in that will match GA's prices plus the shipping cost, but not the transfer fee. Maybe someone there will work you a similar deal. GA has a ton of .44 mag. revolvers for sale for under $500.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Susquehanna County)

Ahhhh, are there many bears in Chester Co.? I would say a Smith 586 or 686 357 mag for that money. You might find a Taurus 44 mag used somewhere. Remember the "expert" advice I have read so often in the gunzines... "If you carry a handgun for bear protection, use 5 on the bear and save one for yourself cause the first 5 ain't gonna stop the bear." No guide I ever heard of (yes, I actually have hunted bears with guides) carries a pistol or revo to stop a charging bear. They all carry heavy rifles or shotguns with heavy payloads. Buy the 586. At least you'll have a gun to practice with. IMHO, of course...
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

(Bucks County)

Are you talking Pa black bear country or Montana Grizzly country? Big difference. For Pa a .357 should be fine. Out west you will want at minimum a .44 mag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast