Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Smile Found a really nice pistol

I have for the past month been looking at a used colt 1911 commander LW in 9mm at my lgs and last week I broke down and shelled out $900 bucks to buy it. The pistol is in prestine condition and fired just fine 25 yrd shots grouped in about 5" while close in shots at 7 yrds printed POA. The pistol also came w/ 38 AMU 5" barrel and 38 Mag w/ both in great condition. However I will be putting the AMU Barrel & mag up for adoption as 1- rd of 38 AMU cost $3.85 each-WOW!!!!!!!!! and since I don't reload and no desire to start it is way to expensive to shoot the 38 AMU's Please don't ask for pictures as I am not really computer or photo oriented.. fwiw

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Found a really nice pistol

Quote Originally Posted by PD25 View Post
    I have for the past month been looking at a used colt 1911 commander LW in 9mm at my lgs and last week I broke down and shelled out $900 bucks to buy it. The pistol is in prestine condition and fired just fine 25 yrd shots grouped in about 5" while close in shots at 7 yrds printed POA. The pistol also came w/ 38 AMU 5" barrel and 38 Mag w/ both in great condition. However I will be putting the AMU Barrel & mag up for adoption as 1- rd of 38 AMU cost $3.85 each-WOW!!!!!!!!! and since I don't reload and no desire to start it is way to expensive to shoot the 38 AMU's Please don't ask for pictures as I am not really computer or photo oriented.. fwiw
    What is .38 AMU? First time I heard of this. I imagine it is really uncommon.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Found a really nice pistol

lemko- 38 AMU was a cartridge designed by the U.S. ARMY MARKSMAN UNIT back in the 60"s It was basically a 38 Special wadcutter rimless I believe so that it could be fired in 9mm 1911 pistols. It is now an obsolete cartridge except for reloaders and from what I under stand mt cases are hard to come by in this day of age, so that is whay I don't want anything to do w/ the barrel or mag...hope I've answered your question.. jack

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    What is .38 AMU? First time I heard of this. I imagine it is really uncommon.
    Check this out: www.ammo-one.com/38AMU.html
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by PD25 View Post
    lemko- 38 AMU was a cartridge designed by the U.S. ARMY MARKSMAN UNIT back in the 60"s It was basically a 38 Special wadcutter rimless I believe so that it could be fired in 9mm 1911 pistols. It is now an obsolete cartridge except for reloaders and from what I under stand mt cases are hard to come by in this day of age, so that is whay I don't want anything to do w/ the barrel or mag...hope I've answered your question.. jack
    We posted at the same time, otherwise, I would have not posted the link.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    We posted at the same time, otherwise, I would have not posted the link.
    No problem, thanks for the picture! I've never seen a cartridge like that. It truly is unusual. I believe there was some sort of "rocket gun" developed for the military back in the 1960s that never went anywhere. Each round cost $50. I forget what it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    No problem, thanks for the picture! I've never seen a cartridge like that. It truly is unusual. I believe there was some sort of "rocket gun" developed for the military back in the 1960s that never went anywhere. Each round cost $50. I forget what it was called.
    Gyrojet available in a pistol with down range ballistics 1.5 times the .45acp.
    Last edited by phill; November 30th, 2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling or fat fingers
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Cumberland County)

Are you talking about the gyrojet guns form the 60s?

EDIT: dang PHILL.... beat me to it. lol
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Philadelphia County)

Gyrojet cartridge:

http://forum.valka.cz/attachments/4461/GyroJet.jpg

Gyrojet pistol:

Kind of got off topic a bit.
    Last edited by lemko; November 30th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

Don't know how "saleable" your .38 AMU barrel will be. Given the mission of that cartridge, and the gun for which the barrel is intended, I would have to think that the barrel is fitted to that specific gun.

1911's are not like some guns with "drop-in" parts. A good 1911, especially one meant for precision target work (and what else would the .38 AMU be used for?) are all hand-fitted. Of course it is rather strange that target accessories would come with a LW Commander, you would expect to see something like that with a 5" steel gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast