Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Pistol

(Philadelphia County)

Default Classic Pistol

Shot my CZ 75D there for the first time today. Great atmosphere and great people behind the counter. Brought my own ammo which was nice and it ended up costing only $15 for an hour, not bad. Went around 1pm and by the time I walked out of the range around 1:50pm it was packed in the store front. I guess it's a good thing that business is good for this place but jeez this place gets a lot of traffic.

I definitely want to start up a membership somewhere with the same vibe as CP but with a little less foot traffic. Any recommendations for places that let you bring your own ammo and have a reasonable membership? I'm located right by the Betsy Ross bridge so I wanna somewhat keep it around the Northeast area.

Default Re: Classic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by PBH View Post
    Shot my CZ 75D there for the first time today. Great atmosphere and great people behind the counter. Brought my own ammo which was nice and it ended up costing only $15 for an hour, not bad. Went around 1pm and by the time I walked out of the range around 1:50pm it was packed in the store front. I guess it's a good thing that business is good for this place but jeez this place gets a lot of traffic.

I definitely want to start up a membership somewhere with the same vibe as CP but with a little less foot traffic. Any recommendations for places that let you bring your own ammo and have a reasonable membership? I'm located right by the Betsy Ross bridge so I wanna somewhat keep it around the Northeast area.
    CP has been running a 'livingsocial' ad/special deal, so there's been a lot more people there than normal now because of it. It's a lot of people who are new to shooting as the deal includes a gun rental and ammo and range time for a packaged price. Personally, I HATE that they ran that special, I'm a member there and the increase in people has been a PITA. Normally, it's not that busy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    CP has been running a 'livingsocial' ad/special deal, so there's been a lot more people there than normal now because of it. It's a lot of people who are new to shooting as the deal includes a gun rental and ammo and range time for a packaged price. Personally, I HATE that they ran that special, I'm a member there and the increase in people has been a PITA. Normally, it's not that busy.
    I don't get out there much, but yeah it has been busy. Great seeing so many different new faces there. Overcrowding with new and young people is the kind of problem I'd like ranges to have.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Same. It's also caused some dunderheads to try shooting. That said the place is still a great place to shoot and the staff there is awesome.

I shoot at Classic often being that it's about 5 minutes away from home.

12:30-1:00PM on weekends IMO is the best time to go. Not much people up front around then. By the time you're done though, the front is always packed. Everyone seems to want to shoot, while everyone else is done shooting, all at the same time which causes big crowds.

Agreed, people there are great and friendly and always find a way to help everyone even when crowded.

They have competitive pricing on guns sometimes as well. I was tempted a Springfield 1911-A1 for $630~. It was a Brazilian marked one, but I thought it was a decent deal for a range.

(Philadelphia County)

i enjoy their range. they let you use your own ammo, INCLUDING steel cased (big plus for me) AND you can shoot 30-06, which i have only seen in one other indoor range. i love it then because it means i can play with my M1 and also shoot cheap steel in my stag. right on.

that said, their actual store i think is overpriced. also, i see ppl here saying they have a great staff, and i tend to agree when it comes to knowledge, but when they are busy they seem to freak out. ive waited 10 minutes just to pay for my range time before. another time i was shooting steel 5.56 next to a guy who was shooting steel cased .30 carbine. I swept up all my casings, went to pay, and one of the members came up to me and asked somewhat hostile like if i had been shooting steel. i said yes, he held a casing up and said that my shit was all over the place. i laughed and told him that was a .30 carbine that the guy next to me was shooting and he immediately left to talk to him (i did notice a few snickers from the younger staff...lol).

these are small grievances i realize. but i thought id share them. when they are empty ive had good talks with bob about 1911s (he knows his stuff), and yet when they are busy i've had to wait forever.

:/

(Montgomery County)

I am a member and really enjoy going there...ammo prices are ok...but yeah guns are going to cost u more a cp than say tanners. I still like to buy stuff there as it is my local range and gun store...

That said, I agree that it is way to packed now days...and if this continues I might not renew my membership...I waited 40 mins on a tuesday at noon then waited over an hour on sunday and did not even get to shoot...even checking out now takes over 10 mins....I really hope they get this under control

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    That said, I agree that it is way to packed now days...and if this continues I might not renew my membership
    Have you spoken to Bob (the owner) about your frustrations? There may be factors at play that you're not aware of or haven't considered that are temporary. It may just be that they're oversubscribed. That said, there have definitely been times when I've had to wait to shoot, and a few of those times, I decided it (shooting) wasn't worth the wait. The neat part about being a member is that I can go any time I want, so if I don't shoot today, I can shoot tomorrow.

Either way... even if you can't get down there to speak with Bob in person, consider giving him a call. I'd hate for you walk away from your membership without giving him the opportunity to make things right. Ultimately, it's your decision, but you clearly felt there was value to the membership when you signed up. At least give the owner the chance to make good on that value.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Have you spoken to Bob (the owner) about your frustrations? There may be factors at play that you're not aware of or haven't considered that are temporary. It may just be that they're oversubscribed. That said, there have definitely been times when I've had to wait to shoot, and a few of those times, I decided it (shooting) wasn't worth the wait. The neat part about being a member is that I can go any time I want, so if I don't shoot today, I can shoot tomorrow.

Either way... even if you can't get down there to speak with Bob in person, consider giving him a call. I'd hate for you walk away from your membership without giving him the opportunity to make things right. Ultimately, it's your decision, but you clearly felt there was value to the membership when you signed up. At least give the owner the chance to make good on that value.
    The cause is really the damned Living Social coupon. I can tell you that the staff is great there. I stopped in a 8:50 and asked if I could run 10 shots through my new shotgun and being a member Bob said thats the benefit of being a member. It was so nice to get a chance to test it out especially since they were getting ready to close shop.
    Last edited by gfanikf; December 16th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    The cause is really the damned Living Social coupon.
    Wow, that's still going on? Amazing. Well, that'd definitely explain the recent influx. Hopefully, that will clear out before the holidays are over, because I'm sure there will be another rush of post-Xmas visits as people try out their new toys!

Sure, it's frustrating to have to wait, but hey, if we get new shooters into the fold as a result, it's worth it. Not only do we get more people on Our Side, we also get additional support for local ranges, trainers, etc.

It was so nice to get a chance to test it out especially since they were getting ready to close shop.
    They're definitely good folks. I'm into year 5 of my membership there. To me, it's well worth the money.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast