Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default good long range scope 6-700 range

in the next couple of months I want to get a new scope for my 6.5 grendel build, I want a scope thats around 30x top end power or more, side focus, lots of adjustment for long range shooting, Im looking at the bushnell elite E6500 4.5-30x50mm right now for the price it looks like about as good as im going to get.grafs has it for 670 with my C&R discount. just asking opinions on this scope or other scopes that I should look at in its price range. I might go a little higher price wise depending on my tax return but would like to keep it around there.

(Pike County)

Default Re: good long range scope 6-700 range

The Vortex Viper PST line gets great reviews. Check http://www.swfa.com

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    in the next couple of months I want to get a new scope for my 6.5 grendel build, I want a scope thats around 30x top end power or more, side focus, lots of adjustment for long range shooting, Im looking at the bushnell elite E6500 4.5-30x50mm right now for the price it looks like about as good as im going to get.grafs has it for 670 with my C&R discount. just asking opinions on this scope or other scopes that I should look at in its price range. I might go a little higher price wise depending on my tax return but would like to keep it around there.

I can recommend some scopes that have a max of 20x or 22x, but none with 30x. I know the 6.5 Grendel is a performer, but nothing a good 20x wouldn't be able to handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Berks County)

I know people shoot 1000 yards with 20x scope's but I like having a little more power to see, now I never had a "good" scope so im sure the optic clearity will make a diffrance over what im use to with my current BSA platinum 8-32x scope. where Im living now I have a good 7-800 yard open field that I can shoot in and in time I would like to use that. right now the most I shot was 200 yards after deer season is over Im probably going to set some tannerite on top the hill behind the house thats about 300 yards to the first part of the hill from my back door and see what I can do with that, then ill go to the top of the hill thats 450, after that I need to go over to the other field. but really if I can hit a 1/2 lb container of tannerite at 450 yards id be more than happy.

(Centre County)

I'd stick with 25 power or less. You won't need more than that to hit targets at 1000 yards. Any more magnification get a dedicated spotting scope. Clarity will be more of an issue than magnification. 10x is fine for 1000 yards too.

I've been using a premier reticles scope lately and it's only 15x but the clarity is phenominal and hits at 1000 are easy.
    Last edited by arrrrgh15; November 30th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

If you've never had a good quality scope, then I'm certain a good quality 20x(or there about) will suite you just fine. Look at magnification like this; for every 100 yards, you need about 1x, i.e. 200 yards = 2x, 300 yards = 3x, 1,000 = 10x. Now, I most certainly use all 20x and 22x or my scopes at lesser ranges then needed. I have a very distinct feeling with the scope that you are talking about that at 30x, you'd lose allot of light, even with a larger objective lens. Some of the things that I pay attention to are the quality of the parts used, clarity of the objective lens, repeatability in the adjustments, external adjustments/turrets, mil adjustments, a reticle that matches the adjustments and is intelligently designed but yet easy to read, I really like them to be first focal plane and excellent customer service. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking elsewhere. However; if this is what you want and it does what you need, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    I use the same scope for F-Class at 600 yards and the clarity is excellent. I purchased that scope, partially, because of the 30mm body.

Just remember that the more magnification you have the more mirage you will see. Anything over 20x is overkill...especially if you are talking shooting in PA.

I'd avoid any optics with BSA, Tasco, NC Star written on it. Finding good optics in your price range can be a challenge unless you go the used route. If you are military/LE...Horus had a deal that you could get their HDMR optic for well under$1,000.