Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default First 1911 and I'm addicted already 8 )

got my first 1911 today, a Kimber ultra crimson carry ii and man now I see why guys turn into 1911 junkies. Can any one recommend some defense ammo types that are Kimber friendly? I've read they can be a little picky. Ordered a crossbreed super tuck to carry her in. Pretty excited if you can't tell
    Also any 1911 tips on cleaning supply's and such are totally welcome ,like I said this is my first so I'm open to as much info as offered . Thanks guys

(Bucks County)

Default Re: First 1911 and I'm addicted already 8 )

What feeds well in someone elses' 1911 may not in yours and vice versa. Kimber does have a reputation of being "finicky", so you might end up trying out many different manufacturers. If I were you, I would first get several hundred rounds down range with it to break it in before looking for self defense ammo. Good luck with your new gun!

(Delaware County)

Lube the rails.
    Rack the slide about 400 times, being sure you don't let it slam into battery.
    Load the mags and leave them set for about 24 hours.
    Go out and try to find some ammo.
    Order more mags.
    Shoot the shit out it.

Start looking for your next 1911.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Mifflin County)

I understand the addiction. Love mine. I have good luck with WWB and Ranger T for carrying. Good luck!

(Berks County)

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm currently carrying a xd 9 so I have lots of practice time to log in on the kimber just getting use to the manual thumb safety on the draw before I will make it my edc but in the long term that it will be.

Hornady Critical Defense has worked well for me, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily work in your 1911. The earlier post about getting some rounds through the gun before trying SD ammo is dead on, make sure it's broken in before you try any hollow points.

From my experience, these guns are not ammo sensitive as much as they are grip and wrist sensitive. Since the pick up between the breech face and the round itself is short, every bit of the inertia is needed, and none can be wasted on a weak grip like it can be with a more forgiving, longer slide. Before I waste a bunch of ammo breaking in a gun that shouldn't require it; simply field strip it, clean and relube the slide and frame rails, and put the slide on the frame with no other innards and check to see if it runs back and forth, smoothly. If it does, check to be sure the feed ramp is smooth and shiny. If it is, then it should be ready to try any ammo you want to use for self defense.
    Last edited by harold63; March 9th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Before I waste a bunch of ammo breaking in a gun that shouldn't require it; simply field strip it, clean and relube the slide and frame rails, and put the slide on the frame with no other innards and check to see if it runs back and forth, smoothly. If it does, check to be sure the feed ramp is smooth and shiny. If it is, then it should be ready to try any ammo you want to use for self defense.
    Wrong. Self defense ammo is expensive. Buying a bunch of it before break-in(which it does need) is stupid and bad advice. You'll be wasting alot of expensive ammo instead of just shooting FMJ for around 500rnds first.

Quote Originally Posted by 87hurricane View Post
    Hornady Critical Defense has worked well for me, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily work in your 1911. The earlier post about getting some rounds through the gun before trying SD ammo is dead on, make sure it's broken in before you try any hollow points.
    Thank you.

Edit: the last-word freak has made his appearance, looking to kill yet another thread
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; March 9th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Lube the rails.
    Rack the slide about 400 times, being sure you don't let it slam into battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Wrong. Self defense ammo is expensive. Buying a bunch of it before break-in(which it does need) is stupid and bad advice. You'll be wasting alot of expensive ammo instead of just shooting FMJ for around 500rnds first.
    Kimber calls for a 400 to 500 round break in. Hand racking as Gun mentioned will do the same thing. 10,000 rounds of ball will not make the feed ramp feed HP's anymore than a brand new, unshot feed ramp will since the bullet hits in a different spot. My explanation will let the OP see if HP's will feed right from jump street. The manual also states: for best results, use of ball ammo is recommended. Sounds a lot like something else may not deliver the best results. I have to ask why the OP would want to spend $250 on hard to find, ball ammo when he can spend $25 on one box of 20 rounds of HP's to see if they'll feed, as long as the slide runs smoothly, otherwise, just run it according to Kimber and stick with ball.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lycoming County)

I'd dump 100/200 rds. of hardball thru it just to be sure there aren't any problems from the manufacturer. Then I'd try some HP's if you so desire. Clean and lube before firing and clean and lube after firing in accordance to the manual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast