Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Has anyone used WPA (Wolf) 223 ammo?

More specifically this stuff listed here;
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW223HP62

I really like the price of this ammo, and I am considering buying quite a bit of it... I would like to know if anyone else has ran this ammo, and what they think/thought of it.

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Has anyone used WPA (Wolf) 223 ammo?

Works fine in my AR. Just clean the gun well afterward. The only issue you might run into is stuck casings if you get the gun hot enough to melt the polymer coating on the cases. That requires a lot rounds in a very short period of time then leaving a round in the chamber, so it shouldn't be an issue outside of a very high round count class. It's also easily cleared with a cleaning rod.

(Northumberland County)

Not this particular package but i've had problems with this new poly coated steel cased ammo for the ar. It sucks. only a few rounds and it sticks in the chamber. its ok if you only shoot a few rounds then clean the chamber right away. Its dirty, but cheap. Ive had this problem with the same ammo in high end ar's as well. I prefer the old lacquer coated stuff.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by B92G View Post
    Not this particular package but i've had problems with this new poly coated steel cased ammo for the ar. It sucks. only a few rounds and it sticks in the chamber. its ok if you only shoot a few rounds then clean the chamber right away. Its dirty, but cheap. Ive had this problem with the same ammo in high end ar's as well. I prefer the old lacquer coated stuff.
    Good to know, I had not the slightest clue about the poly coating..

Thanks!

+rep.

The laquer coating was better, but is sadly no longer available. That being said, I have thousands of rounds of the polymer stuff through my AR without a hitch.

(Delaware County)

I've put probably about 2K worth of Wolf through my ARs. Never had any problems. I actually bought 2K more rounds from AIM (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...m=AW223PFMJ550). Granted the link you posted was the 62 grain bullet, but all the 55 grain I've fired has been good. A little dirty but I'm anal about cleaning my guns after spending time at the range.

The reason its really important to clean, especially the chamber, after using this stuff is that steel doesn't expand to seal the chamber like brass does and therefore you get some blow by. The crud deposited in the chamber can later cause brass ammo to seize. This isn't an issue with Russian guns due to the heavy taper on the cartridges and looser tolerances.

(Lancaster County)

I've used Wolf in 9mm and .40 with few problems. I'd have maybe 2 or 3 misfires of the 9mm in my P250 but the 2nd trigger pull always fired it. .40 had no problems at all.
    ~Daniel

(Cumberland County)

6000 rounds of the newer wolf ammo have been feed to my 3 AR's (1-BCM, 1-colt 6920, 1-Noveske) without so much as one FTF or FTE. I doubt you would have any issues with it IF you clean your gun VERY VERY VERY thoroughly after each range trip.

That being said, my HD and SHTF mags are loaded up with higher end brass cased stuff and hand loads. I am just more comfortable not worrying about steel cased ammo in any situation that could produce fatal results.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Northumberland County)

like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. i bought some poly .223/5.556 in bulk. when its gone its gone. After that i'll dip into my stockpile of lacquer coated stuff then brass. I will not buy it the poly again unless i am in a pinch. As for handgun calibers i've never had problems with steel, from .380-.45 its always worked.

My experience ( limited i might add) with this ammo is as follows.

I've had tons of problems with the steel cased poly stuff, from a FTF, FTE and lots of times the rim being ripped off. I have changed mags, changed lube, then changed guns. From DI to piston. DPMS,to bushmaster,colt, to POF.... I've tried clean guns, i've tried dirty guns, wet and dry, cold to hot. rapid fire to single shot. i have mixed brass with steel, poly with lacquer with brass. it comes down to this, the ammo is cheap and dirty. i use it b/c its what i have on hand. when i do use it, i carry an extra cleaning rod for when, NOT IF , a FTE happens. i've given the ammo to others to try with the same results. If you don't mind cleaning and doing malfunction drills then get buy a 1000 rounds or so, but just dont rely on it for anything other than plinking.

I attatched a phone pic of a case i had laying around just for these instances. it is one of many FTE in which the rim was ripped off. (sorry for the poor quality, hopefully you can see it )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast