Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Question .50 BMG-friendly ranges in the Franklin county area?

The nearest range to me that goes farther than 200 yards is the Shippensburg Fish and Game association. I was all ready to get a membership with them when I discovered that the assholes don't allow .50 BMG.

Considering how seldom this monster will probably be shot, I don't think I'll mind driving a little bit farther than normal. Anyone know of a range in Franklin County or immediate surrounding area that is both longer than 200 yards and .50 BMG friendly?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .50 BMG-friendly ranges in the Franklin county area?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    The nearest range to me that goes farther than 200 yards is the Shippensburg Fish and Game association. I was all ready to get a membership with them when I discovered that the assholes don't allow .50 BMG.

Considering how seldom this monster will probably be shot, I don't think I'll mind driving a little bit farther than normal. Anyone know of a range in Franklin County or immediate surrounding area that is both longer than 200 yards and .50 BMG friendly?
    It actually seems to be a pretty significant problem with private clubs not being welcoming to many different types of shooters. I can understand why a club would only want to cater to more experienced shooters, but I think there are more effective ways of doing that than with blanket impositions.

Now it could be they have a functional reason for limiting to under a certain power cartridge. There are bullet trap/backstop systems out there that can handle rifle file up to a certain caliber. I know my club has been looking at a trap like backstop for the sake of doing a better job of lead management, and making berm maintenance easier. We already use an indoor system that can only handle pistol rounds (can't shoot magnum loads either) and rifle if it's .22LR. Those kinds of restrictions I can accept and deal with.

Aside from that, I've heard of a lot of clubs being very unwelcoming to guys that like to shoot ARs, FALs, and other evil black rifles, which greatly disappoints me. My club limits magazines to no more than 5 rounds, which is especially annoying for people who like to shoot M1 Garands with the standard ammunition clip, or for people who like to be able to do rapid fire strings of 10 without having to change out a magazine.

It's my experience that a lot of these clubs tend to be run by old guys, who don't always get along with younger shooters too well, and don't appreciate the guns they like to shoot. It's one thing to want to keep people who are unsafe, or just have no respect for the club or the other members, but I think clubs in general need to be a little more inclusive. Clubs with attitudes are putting the entire future of the shooting sports in danger by being that way. If your facilities can handle it, there's no reason to exclude 50 BMG shooters. If the noise bothers you, well, time to take up another hobby.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: .50 BMG-friendly ranges in the Franklin county area?

It's a long drive for you (probably a little over 2 hours) but Mifflin County Sportsman's Association allows 50 BMG. Just no tracers, incendiary, or armor piercing rounds.....

Oh, and the rifle range is 1000 yards.

I realize you're looking for something closer, but figured I'd toss this out there in case you have trouble finding something "close".