Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What are the essential aftermarket mods/accessories for a good HD shotgun

I should be acquiring a Rem 870 clone (NEF/H&R) in the next few days. Now I don't recall offhand what the barrel length is (hunting or already HD). So I figure besides first getting the barrel cut to an HD length if need be (how much does that tend to run?), what other mods/accessories do I need for a good HD shotgun? I'm essentially trying to make a custom job HD shotgun.

TIA

Default Re: What are the essential aftermarket mods/accessories for a good HD shotgun

A flashlight.

That's about it.

I also like XS sights, but that's more of a nice option than a must have.

Another nice option is a side-saddle of some type.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What are the essential aftermarket mods/accessories for a good HD shotgun

A bunch of shells and practice.

Also, why cut the barrel? Can't it be swapped for another?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    A bunch of shells and practice.

Also, why cut the barrel? Can't it be swapped for another?
    IIRC New England Firearms Pardner Pumps are pretty much swappable with the Rem 870 EXCEPT for the barrel which requires a proprietary barrel H&R/NEF offers. Trust me I would love a simple swap out option!

First I'd get a good sling. I like the Vickers sling. Then I'd get a weapon mounted light. Other than ammo, there's nothing else needed.

If you can't find a short 18 1/2- 20" barrel, buy a hacksaw.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

A flashlight for sure and night sites.

Possibly a shorter stock if it fits you better. A shorter stock will turn your body into the gun more and reduce felt recoil helping to speed up follow-up shots.

A good side saddle to hold extra shells comes in very handy.

A mag extension isn't a bad thing to have.

I put a Wilson Combat +1 mag extension and a Hogue stock on my Rem 870P. Also a Wilson Combat side saddle. I bought it with night sights.

This shotgun won me the shotgun competition in my NRA LE instructor class. I luckily beat 22 other students with every make of shotgun.

Edited because I forgot to include a sling. Just like having a holster for a pistol!
    Last edited by DaveM55; November 30th, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post

Possibly a shorter stock if it fits you better. A shorter stock will turn your body into the gun more and reduce felt recoil helping to speed up follow-up shots.

I put a Wilson Combat +1 mag extension and a Hogue stock on my Rem 870P. Also a Wilson Combat side saddle. I bought it with night sights.

This shotgun won me the shotgun competition in my NRA LE instructor class. I luckily beat 22 other students with every make of shotgun.
    When I was on the DOC CERT Team our primary weapon was 870's with Surefire light forearms, single point slings, & the Knox recoil reducing stock. I liked them & was going to convert my 35 year old Wingmaster to the same setup, but I bought one of these instead:
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tacs-camo.aspx
    The only things I added were a Vickers sling & a side saddle. It handles beautifully. I'm still deciding on a WML.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post

Sums it up nicely.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

Don't bother paying someone. If you intend to mount sights directly on the barrel it may be harder, but I cut off my 500 with a ruler, a dowel, a hackaaw, a file, and a machinists square. Took about an hour.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    Don't bother paying someone. If you intend to mount sights directly on the barrel it may be harder, but I cut off my 500 with a ruler, a dowel, a hackaaw, a file, and a machinists square. Took about an hour.
    Looks like I won't need to. It's a NEF Pardner Protector with 18.5 barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast