Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default suggestions for operating a slide (injured hand)

Due to a hand injury, I can no longer grasp the slide and rack it with my weakened weak hand. Even grasping it with my fingers and palm doesn't work. I can operate it with the push/pull if I transfer the pistol to my weak hand and operate the slide with my strong hand. This is probably a long term issue.

I haven't even practiced weak hand shooting since my injury. My thumb doesn't grasp well, wrist is weak, and trigger finger has little/no feeling, others just some sensation.

It isn't a big deal at the range, but what if I really need a reload, should I be on a situation my life depended on it? Or to clear a jam under pressure?

Just wondered if anyone has experience or suggestons beyond the obvious practice, practice, practice. I think it's going to take some time to retrain myself.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: suggestions for operating a slide (injured hand)

Sorry to hear of it, hope things get better for you!

In any case, get a revolver?
    ~Daniel

(Butler County)

The 1st instructor I had pushed strong/weak side practice. If you're attacked/shot and lose your strong side arm you're pretty much screwed. I also practice one handed mag reloads. You'll be surprised how fast you'll pick it up.

In the mean time you might consider carrying a backup.

Revolvers can be even harder to manipulate than an automatic depending on the extent of his disability...that is, unless you mean get one as a New York reload.

Chiques, since we anticipate that injuries are a possible, if not likely outcome from a gunfight, there are a multitude of techniques developed for racking the slide of the pistol with only one available hand. There's no reason they can't be modified to assist where you are unable to use your non-dominant hand.

The one I personally use involves catching the rear sight on my belt and pushing through to rack the slide. There are good instructors out there that can show you a few good techniques and customize them for your abilities. Shoot me a PM and I can give you some e-mail addresses.

In the meantime, here's some video from Paul Gomez on one hand manipulations. It will give you an idea of what it is all about. As awesome of an instructor as Paul is, remember, no video is a replacement for training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JuYJ...e_gdata_player

(Lancaster County)

I have always practiced weak hand, but now it is truly weak. The pain from recoil prohibits it.

I do have a good BUG. Guess I need to start double carry.

And buy a snub (again) (darn). Sold mine to my SO due to here arthritic hands (similar issue w/semi's)

(Allegheny County)

From a combat perspective.... Take a look at the 10-8 Performance rear sights. They were designed so that a SWAT Operator holding a shield could rack the weapon with the rear sight against the shield edge.

From there you can practice racking and clearing malfunctions from your shoe or other hard object. Just an idea.

Any steel sights with a non-ramped rear sight will do fine. XS big dots are my preference, but you shouldn't need any new equipment if you already have night sights fitting that description.

(Delaware County)

I just read about a set of sites for this exact issue... I will see if I can find the info again... Basically the situation that was described was "you are shot in your arm You have Little to no control to operate with that arm/hand you have a jam what do you do??" The long and short was a review of a set of sights that are designed to rack the weapon on the Table edge, Pant leg, pant pocket, ect anything that can give you traction to manipulate it with.. the reviewer stated he had his Arm secured be hind his back so he could not cheat and found that it was very well done and the sights did not move or bend when he basically did a push up on them.

Like I said, you can do all of those things with any steel, non-ramped rear sight.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post

The one I personally use involves catching the rear sight on my belt and pushing through to rack the slide.
    +1. I use my rear sight and hook it into the holster/belt/pocket to rack the slide.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast