Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Would like some help deciding on which fire arm to carry a Khar 40 or a ATI 1911

Hello all, I'm rather new to the forum however i have been shooting for sometime and recently applied for my LTCW. I'm looking to buy one of the carry fire arms listed in the title. Yesterday I went to my local gun shop and did some browsing the two fire arms that really interested me were the Khar I believe it was a cw40 and an ATI 1911 in a officer/commander style (i believe it means the shortened barrel)However I'm not familiar with the firearms maker ATI or the 1911 type of fire arm. In the past I have really only owned and fired 9mm hand guns(i currently own a H&K p2000 just seems to bulky to carry) and some rifles (.223/.556, .22 etc). I was hoping I could get some opinions on the fire arms maker ATI and see what the pros and cons to each fire arm. Thank you for your help and time.

Matt

Default Re: Would like some help deciding on which fire arm to carry a Khar 40 or a ATI 1911

"Shooters Arms Manufacturing" builds the ATI 1911. They are in the Philippines. They are a decent 1911, but the one's I have fondled needed a good trigger polishing, which is no big deal, at all.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Default Re: Would like some help deciding on which fire arm to carry a Khar 40 or a ATI 1911

Different monsters, these guns are. As far as carry, it would be which one you like the best, I presume, as both are reliable enough and the calibers are both well proven. Field stripping is harder and more time consuming with the 1911, but easy to learn. The Kahr has no external safeties to mess with (its long, DAO trigger is its safety along with the "finger off the trigger till' you need it" bonus safety. The 1911 has a safety system that takes a little time to learn, IMO, anyways, but is also easy to learn, and the SAO trigger is way different than the Kahr. To make a long story short, the 1911 is more complicated, but as I say, fairly easy to learn. If you want a pistol with external safety features, then it is the way to go, out of the two you are looking at. I'd give the "quality" nudge to Kahr, and they have a great warranty and CS.

You owe it to yourself to try to shoot both of these before deciding. It isn't like shooting a semi Sig and then a semi HK. The Kahr and the 1911 have a number of differences.
    Last edited by harold63; November 26th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

(Delaware County)

300, thank you very much for going into detail about the different fire arms it's greatly appreciated and I will take your advice and shoot each one first before I make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    300, thank you very much for going into detail about the different fire arms it's greatly appreciated and I will take your advice and shoot each one first before I make a purchase.
    Always a pleasure. Hopefully, you'll get some owner views on each, as well. With the amount of rounds each has to offer, if it were me purchasing one of the two, I would go with the Kahr. It is a pull and shoot pistol, and even with the long DAO trigger, it has a very good feel, plus, I think it would be a little easier to conceal. JMHO.
    Last edited by harold63; November 26th, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I personally do not like SAO (Single Action Only) automatics for carry. I believe to carry safely you have to carry either Condition 1 or Condition 3.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...readiness.html

Both of these require some type of additional action vs DA/SA, DAO or Striker fired pistols. These actions would be to either disengage the manual safety or rack the slide.

Given this preference I would take the K40 over the 1911.

(Cumberland County)

While I very much like the 1911 platform my nod goes to the Kahr. I'm a big fan.

I carry the CW9 everyday, have it on right now. My only question to you would be why .40 S&W? It doesn't give you much over 9mm, louder, more recoil, more muzzle flash, less rounds, and more expensive. I want to put as many rounds on target as quickly and as accurately as possible. This is why I use 9mm, at least in a compact polymer gun. If you already shoot 9mm why not continue?

Either way, the Kahr is a great carry gun.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

The other thing i was thinking is I really want to support a US company so that is really leaning me into the Khar since ATI is based outside the USA. Also I'm leaning towards a Khar due to the platform I'm really not familiar with the 1911 and if i'm going to carry the fire arm I should know the weapon system in and out. As far as why going with a .40 S&W ( i really don't want to start a debate on what caliber is better for LTCW) but after talking to a few friends they were advising me the stopping power on a .40 is better compared to the 9mm. Also I currently have a H&K p2000 and was thinking about trying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    The other thing i was thinking is I really want to support a US company so that is really leaning me into the Khar since ATI is based outside the USA. Also I'm leaning towards a Khar due to the platform I'm really not familiar with the 1911 and if i'm going to carry the fire arm I should know the weapon system in and out. As far as why going with a .40 S&W ( i really don't want to start a debate on what caliber is better for LTCW) but after talking to a few friends they were advising me the stopping power on a .40 is better compared to the 9mm. Also I currently have a H&K p2000 and was thinking about trying something different.
    Nothing wrong with any of that. 40 cal is a little better, but not much. A hot, 9mm, defensive round is very affective.

(Butler County)

+1 for supporting US companies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast