Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Would like some help deciding on which fire arm to carry a Khar 40 or a ATI 1911

I grew up with a mechanical safeties on all my guns. There is nothing hard or complicated with them. I prefer the 1911. I also like the bigger .45 round. The 1911 is a good solid design that has stood the test of time. The 1911 was also designed to be carried in condition 1 or cocked and locked as the saying goes. I am not familiar with ATI so I can't there. I do carry a Smith and Wesson 1911 commander size pistol and like it very much. Find some place to shoot them both and get the one that fits your hand the best and is the most comfortable to shoot.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Would like some help deciding on which fire arm to carry a Khar 40 or a ATI 1911

I personally would usually take the 1911 over kahr, but given it's an ATI - go with the kahr.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I personally do not like SAO (Single Action Only) automatics for carry. I believe to carry safely you have to carry either Condition 1 or Condition 3.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...readiness.html

Both of these require some type of additional action vs DA/SA, DAO or Striker fired pistols. These actions would be to either disengage the manual safety or rack the slide.

Given this preference I would take the K40 over the 1911.
    I think my wife invented "condition 5" (got a 1911, but can't find it), two weeks ago. Her gun case is the same thing as her backup drives cases for the co. she works for. Took the wrong one to work, and when she went to get the gun at home, it was gone. She finally figured it out, though.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I think my wife invented "condition 5" (got a 1911, but can't find it), two weeks ago. Her gun case is the same thing as her backup drives cases for the co. she works for. Took the wrong one to work, and when she went to get the gun at home, it was gone. She finally figured it out, though.
    wow, thats scary. I would shit myself lol. glad it got sorted. I like 1911's, so i would say the OP should get a ruger sr1911. That does 2 things. One...its a 1911, and Two.....american.
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; November 26th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

(Delaware County)

condition 5 would drive me nuts I have OCD when it comes to my firearms. Also the more I look at the two fire arms the more I love the 1911 if i were to buy one it would defiantly be from a US company and not ATI. I really need to rent both and see which one I prefer. Thank you all for posting in this thread it has helped me alot.

(Butler County)

Its my opinion that you would enjoy a 1911. They feel better than any other handgun when held. Again, just my shitty opinion.
    best of luck with your choice of gun, happy shooting

(Montgomery County)

Supporting US companies is good, but you may want to read up on Kahr's background. Some may find their hazy relationship to the Unification Church to be a concern. The church has stated that they have no business relationship with Kahr, but the corporate family tree has to make you wonder. (Kahr <- Saeilo <- Tongil Group (South Korea) -> Tongil Foundation -> Unification Church.)

They make fine pistols, make no mistake. I had a PM9 and it was pretty much flawless. They employ American workers in an American factory, which is laudable. I wouldn't mind having another Kahr. But I would be lying if I didn't admit to a slight bit of unease in the back of my mind about where the money may be going.

I have a kahr pm9 and it's a really sweet little carry gun, for deep concealment I just plain love the thing. It's accurate, dependable, and easy to carry IWB or pocket.

I'd pass on the cw40 and get the cw9, but that's just me.

I do have a 40 though, the glock 23

(Cumberland County)

Been a member awhile, I'll finally chime in on this one. I own the kahr cw9, conceals very well and the trigger is great, nice pistol. Good luck

(Cambria County)

Bought the wife a KAHR CW9 for her personal defense weapon. Liked it so much, I went out and bought myself one.

Some say they don't like the double action feel. Here is a video of me using the KAHR at at IDPA shoot. Note the last couple of seconds. Right after shooting the metal silhouette I dump the gun into the spinning target. I got off four shots. 3 were on target getting good scores on the front of the target, the fourth was on target, but the last round went into the back of the target. That is great control, at a high rate of shooting, with really good shot placement. These pistol shoots well, very well.

This was the first time I ever tried competing with the KAHR CW9. (And I use to dress as wildly as possible to make my range officer crazy)

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast