Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Differences in Counties???

Does anyone have an idea as to why there are seem to be so many different policies and methods used to by the Sheriff's offices in issuing carry permits? I am going to get mine next week, and I am told that in Lackawanna county, I will walk out of the courthouse with my permit when I leave. A friend who lives in Luzerne county told me that it is the same there also. If you can walk out with your permit in one county, why does it take 45-60 days in other counties?

Default Re: Differences in Counties???

Because some of these jerks think they're above the law.

Silly.

(Philadelphia County)

Because the law requires certain things and allows for certain things.

Some offices go beyond what's required, some do only what is required, and some ignore certain requirements.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Monroe County)

I see... I guess that I am glad to live in a county that goes above and beyond in expediting the process.

(York County)

Some might say its because the sheriff has an agenda and makes it hard to look good in the eyes of the Anti's as well as the standard " sheriff's just an a**hole" response. Some places just require the bareminimum set of rules others choose the middle of the road option. I'm just gald I got one, as it was impossible to do do in my old home of Md.

BB

(Clinton County)

Here in Clinton County when you go to get your ltcf all they do is have you fill out the application then while your doing that the sheriff run your name in the PICS system witch only takes 5 minutes. when cleared they take your picture and print your permit out. our permits here in Clinton County are 30.00 and are good for 5 years. there like a drivers license with your picture on it

(Franklin County)

Let me start by saying that I in no way disagree with the suggestion that some Sheriff's attempt to exercise authority they don't have, but there's at least one practical consideration that comes to mind that might explain some of the delays: volume of LTCFs to process.

Some Sheriff's offices process hundreds of applications a month. IMO, it's not practical to have someone sitting on 'standby' to handle walk-ins. It seems more reasonable to collect these applications as they come in, and process them after a certain number has accumulated, or on a specific day/time so that the ongoing duties of the staff aren't constantly interrupted.

If you add in the fact that some do contact references, and may not reach them on the first attempt, some applications may take a little longer to filter through the process than others. I think it's great that some counties offer walk-in service, but as long as the Sheriff is meeting the mandated 45-day period, I can't see making a fuss (and believe me, it's not because I'm not a 'fuss-maker' in general).

Personally, I'm more curious at the range of charges in different counties, since these charges are clearly spelled out in the UFA. Try paying the amount specified by law when your Sheriff says it's more, and see if you get your LTCF.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I think the heart of the problem is the law was written so vaguely. It leaves too many issues concerning LTCF open to interpretation and every Sheriff interprets it differently. The law should have been written a little tighter.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Bucks County)

FYI

Got my LTCF 2 weeks ago in Bucks county. I paid my $46, filled out the form and had my pic taken. When I was done the woman behind the counter said come back in 1 week and pic up you card and lo and behold it was there in 1 week. It may have been there sooner but the office I went to is only open 1 day a week.