Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Permit Renewal / Cost / Location

I was talking to a buddy of mine who said the only place you can apply or renew your carry permit was at the court house and that it's $45. My renewal card came this month and says I can go to the Doylestown Sheriff's office, Lower Bucks Counter Government Services Center and Upper Bucks County Government Services Center to renew and the Sheriff's website is saying it's $19 plus $1 service fee (I remember paying $45 myself)...

Before I take a day off work and go to the wrong building with the wrong amount of cash, has anyone gone recently to be able to verify this? I called all 3 offices wednesday and today and haven't been able to get a hold of human yet...

Default Re: Permit Renewal / Cost / Location

Do you live in Philly or Bucks county

(Delaware County)

With the Sheriff in your county or if in Philly, with them

It's 20 dollars everywhere in PA and they have to issue or deny within 45 days.

Simply fill out the one page application and that's it.
    No police check card, interviews, parking ticket review, tattoo documentation, etc.

If you are asked for any of that, you don't have to oblige.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Do you live in Philly or Bucks county
    My permanent address is currently in Bucks. I'm in the process of home shopping in Philly and staying at one of my father in-laws rentals in-between tenants as a favor so I'm closer to work for the time being. I'm going to renew my Bucks permit and then do an address change once my wife and I find a house.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    With the Sheriff in your county or if in Philly, with them

It's 20 dollars everywhere in PA and they have to issue or deny within 45 days.

Simply fill out the one page application and that's it.
    No police check card, interviews, parking ticket review, tattoo documentation, etc.

If you are asked for any of that, you don't have to oblige.
    Sounds good! Thanks a bunch! I guess the price went down?! I definitely remember having to leave the Doylestown Sheriff's department to take out more money because it was like $46 or something because of the new drivers license style photo card they said or something?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    My permanent address is currently in Bucks. I'm in the process of home shopping in Philly and staying at one of my father in-laws rentals in-between tenants as a favor so I'm closer to work for the time being. I'm going to renew my Bucks permit and then do an address change once my wife and I find a house.

Sounds good! Thanks a bunch! I guess the price went down?! I definitely remember having to leave the Doylestown Sheriff's department to take out more money because it was like $46 or something because of the new drivers license style photo card they said or something?

Bucks County...any of those 3 locations will do, whichever is most convenient for you.

Sheriff was illegally overcharging for quite some time. Now every county is "supposed" to be uniform. Philly not so much. I recommend you house shop OUTSIDE the city limits.

(Delaware County)

It's been 25 for a long time (forever?). It recently went down to 20 when the modernization fund expired. If you were charged more than 25, your Sheriff was breaking the law..

You could ask for a refund, if it's worth it to you (monetarily or simply on principle).

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    It's been 25 for a long time (forever?). It recently went down to 20 when the modernization fund expired. If you were charged more than 25, your Sheriff was breaking the law..

You could ask for a refund, if it's worth it to you (monetarily or simply on principle).
    Yep, plus the PA Sheriffs' Association was getting bad press when both the Lehigh and Buck's County Sheriffs said they were defending the illegal fees. Some political wrangling and persistent work by volunteers and State Representative Gary Day got things turned around, the PA Sheriffs' Association did a 180 and started pushing for Sheriffs to reduce their fees to be in compliance with the law and to start actually caring about the uniformity of LTCF's.

Many people on this forum helped push that change.

For the most expedient renewal go to the office in the Doylestown Courthouse. My best time was 20 minutes, last time was 30....from car locked to car started up again. This fact just makes me shake my head in puzzlement when I hear Philly takes 3 months.

Take a couple of quarters, the parking meters in Doylestown are old school.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Its $20.00 at the doylestown courthouse for new permits and renewals. And they are pretty quick also.

(Bucks County)

If it was 5 years ago you got the initial license, then it was more money. Bucks was pulling the crap that a paper license was $xx and it was more to have it laminated. Luckily all of that's been changed. $20, and it's all yours laminated and ready to go.

And if you are in Lower Bucks, you can get it from the location listed on the website. If you feel like taking more time out of your day then, by all means, drive up to Doylestown, fight for a parking space, have to damn near disrobe to enter the courthouse and then go downstairs to the sheriff's office.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast