Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Permit Renewal / Cost / Location

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    If it was 5 years ago you got the initial license, then it was more money. Bucks was pulling the crap that a paper license was $xx and it was more to have it laminated..

He wasn't even giving the paper option. May 2010 I sent my wife in to apply at the Levittown office...asking specifically for the paper option. Woman behind the desk told my wife that there was no such option.

(Delaware County)

Just so lurkers reading this thread understand.

By law, there was NEVER an option to pay more for different types of licenses
    They can print it on paper, plastic or platinum, price doesn't change

There is only one license and no one has had or has authority to charge more than the statute outlines. 25 dollars in the past and once the modernization fund expired, it's now 20.

If you paid or pay more than that, your Sheriff was/is breaking the law.
    You may or may not care, but at least I feel it's important to clarify that

Did we ever find out which sheriff first started issuing the DL-type LTCFs, why they did so, and how they came up with the different fees they were charging?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    He wasn't even giving the paper option. May 2010 I sent my wife in to apply at the Levittown office...asking specifically for the paper option. Woman behind the desk told my wife that there was no such option.
    I was at the government services center over on New Falls Road in September to apply for a replacement LTCF. The lady that took my photo and application said that the state is no longer doing the plastic digital licenses.

The flimsy laminated license card I got has me feeling that I will be back Real Soon Now to get another replacement. I don't see why the state eliminated the digital licenses. All they needed to do was ensure that every county was using a uniform version and charging a uniform price.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cpio View Post
    I was at the government services center over on New Falls Road in September to apply for a replacement LTCF. The lady that took my photo and application said that the state is no longer doing the plastic digital licenses.

The flimsy laminated license card I got has me feeling that I will be back Real Soon Now to get another replacement. I don't see why the state eliminated the digital licenses. All they needed to do was ensure that every county was using a uniform version and charging a uniform price.
    Unfortunately it would be incredibly expensive to have all 67 counties issuing a plastic license. It would cost considerably more than $20 a license to pay for the machines and supplies.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpjh88 View Post
    Unfortunately it would be incredibly expensive to have all 67 counties issuing a plastic license. It would cost considerably more than $20 a license to pay for the machines and supplies.
    I have to disagree.

The last upgrade, aside from mismanagement issues, was altogether not expensive. Most sheriffs returned funds that were awarded to them as grants for the last upgrade because they simply didn't need them to cover costs.

Over the last several years, particularly between 2006 and 2010, several million dollars in excess funds could have been allocated to the hardware costs of printing plastic cards.

There was a large push to try to prevent some of the excess funds from rolling over into the State treasury in May of last year, but action could not be taken swiftly enough to prevent it.

Unless the equipment to issue those cards would cost $50,000 or more per county, which it would not and did not for the counties that had been improperly using plastic cards for a while, there would have been no issue switching to them and being just fine at $20 per applicant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12