Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default cz75bd function issue.

Though this was not my intention when I registered tonight I have been curious about this for a long time. Well my friend bought a cz75bd like 10 years ago and shot a few boxes then threw that bad boy in the closet until I forced him to come shoot with me last year. Well the odd thing is a lot of the time it would drop the hammer to half cock then pull it again it would do the same thing. Then maybe you pull it again and it goes off. It actually didn't happen to me at all the first 2 times we took it out but it happened to everyone else. The only different thing I did was I rarely let the trigger come all the way forward. I just let it reset to the point that I could shoot again in sa. Anyways I assume it would be something inside the gun that is sticking that needs cleaned and oiled. It also has minor rust coloring on the hammer trigger external screws etc. Since it is not my gun as far as I went was taking the slide off and it looked clean and oiled. Any suggestions would be great just to soothe my curiousity

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cz75bd function issue.

My suggestion would be to not buy a cz. This isn't the first time i've heard of this happening. I was actually at the NRA gun show in Pittsburgh, and i overheard a man asking the same question. Probably just a bad gun.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybusiness View Post
    My suggestion would be to not buy a cz. ...
    That was helpful.

Delta Thunder, have you tried asking/searching on The Original CZ Forum website? I had a 75BD Police for about a year, ran four or five flawless boxes of FMJ through it. It was stolen a few months ago. I loved that gun and bought a few more CZ's to replace it with.

I never experienced any sort of malfunction like the one you described. If you find out what the scoop is post back here and let us know. I imagine there are a few folks who like CZ's and would be interested to hear the solution to the problem.
    Johnnie F.

I have never had that trouble with my 75. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds through it, but other than some wheel guns, it's my primary back-up HD gun. Shotguns are the primary HD.

I would detail strip the gun and take a brass bristle tooth brush to the internal safety parts that have likely rusted some and is causing this. That is a long time to store a gun that will rust without keeping it lubed. Lube will evaporate and leave a gummy residue that will let rust sneak by. If you or he is not comfortable doing a detail strip, you can get to most of thse parts by field stripping and removing the grips. Another thing I would do is remove the hammer spring and clean that area up and relube. There is something in the internals that is gummed up or rusted up and it needs a thorough detailing. I have worked on some older shotguns that were taken out of storage and then taken to shoot, but would not shoot. Cleaning the internals and relubing usually took care of this. Hope this helps.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I own and shoot 9 different cz pistols ,they are fantastic shooters and very reliable pistols. My first question to the original poster , is it a surplus pistol or a newer factory model . second most likely causes are trigger bar spring or trigger bar misalignment or worn trigger bar. Other possible causes include sear and sear cage and hammer issues. As another poster indicated go to the Cz forum post your question in the appropriate cz 75 model forum and most likely Stuart or Schemky will get back to you, both are very knowledgeable on this platform.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Allegheny County)

Im not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure that I have read elsewhere that most of the cz's are built to ride half cocked. It was something about the way the hammer is built to safely ride at 1/2 without failure. My guess would be something with that or something is wrong with the decocker itself. Wish I could be of more help.

(Allegheny County)

This was a factory civillian gun. I was actually completely shocked given the bahavior of the gun because if their reputation. That is why I told him we had to bust it out in the first place. If it makes a difference it was a killer shooter and felt smooth when it actually fired. Never felt rough or anything. I wish I had a better understanding of what catches it at half cock and why. The most I could find on that subject is that there is a notch cut somewhere that causes it somehow, so you can see hoe armed with that information I am a cz75bd expert.