Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Difference between all the Federal .22lr bulk packs?

Getting ready for Black Friday sales, and I'm going to buy a crap ton of .22lr bulk packs. I'm going with Federal, as I find Winchester and Remington bulk ammo to be terrible.

Now that I'm looking, however, I noticed that the packs seem to be loaded with different ammo. There is a 325 round pack, a 375 round pack, and a 525 round pack. I've also heard of 550 round packs, but haven't seen them.

Could anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the packs? 325 seems to be the most expensive, so is it "higher" quality?
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

Default Re: Difference between all the Federal .22lr bulk packs?

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Getting ready for Black Friday sales, and I'm going to buy a crap ton of .22lr bulk packs. I'm going with Federal, as I find Winchester and Remington bulk ammo to be terrible.

Now that I'm looking, however, I noticed that the packs seem to be loaded with different ammo. There is a 325 round pack, a 375 round pack, and a 525 round pack. I've also heard of 550 round packs, but haven't seen them.

Could anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the packs? 325 seems to be the most expensive, so is it "higher" quality?
    It's an inherent issue with .22s, some work with any ammo, some work with most ammo and some only like particular ammo. I've found the Winchester Dyna-Point to work with everything I have but have only one vendor to purchase it from, Dick's. The 550 pack works fine in my Ruger pistols but not so well in my 10/22. The old Winchester Model 62 eats anything and everything. But I'll never purchase the 333 pack again.....I have no idea why but none of the Rugers liked it. I've never put a caliper to any of the ammo to see if there are minute differences, or examined in detail such variances as lead softness for feeding problems. I don't really care why it won't work, the factory isn't going to change anything to suit my dislikes so I tend to stick with what works, Dyna-Point. Occasionally I'll pick up the expensive Federal Gold Medal when I'm plinking with a mission. The mission being tight groups at 100yds. Otherwise it's just plinking for pure pleasure and relaxation.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Yeah, definitely a problem with all .22s, and you've got to individually cater your rounds to your gun, like you said.

Just wondering what the differences were, if any. I think there definitely are some, though.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Washington County)

The 525 pack is usually just a plinking hollow point. The 325 pack is not hollow point and is labeled as a 'match' type ammo that is recommended in semi auto use. I have used both, but I prefer the match stuff in my 22/45.

(Bucks County)

I was using a 525 Federal pack and had no issues with either the rifle or the H&R revolver. The next box I bought was the 550 Remington pack...no issues with the rifle but the cylinder won't turn on the revolver after firing the first shot. For right now I'm assuming its the the ammo...will know for sure when I get another box of the Federal.

(Lancaster County)

I had a box of the 550 Remington HP ammo and it was absolutely HORRIBLE in my 10/22. One out of every 10 (at most) jammed and they were coated with this weird goldish paint that came off on your hands and spread everywhere. Definitely would not buy that again.

The Federal 550 packs from Walmart however work flawlessly.
    ~Daniel

(Chester County)

I've also had nothing but success with the Federal Wal-Mart packs. I've used them on a .22 conversion kit for a Sig which prior to buying I've read that it would be real picky on the types of ammo used. Good luck.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Federal and Blazer

Too late for a Black Friday sale, but the Federal 550 bulk packs at Walmart have worked the best for me in all my .22's.

Work well in Marlin semi autos, Marlin bolt action, Ruger 10/22's, Marlin and Henry lever rifles, Ruger MKIII's, and .22 single and double action revo's too.

I have used countless thousands of them with no problems.

I have had very good luck with Blazer 40gr lead round nose bulk packs too. They give a little louder ring shooting steel targets with them!

The Blazer bulk packs are harder to find locally, I get them from Graf and Sons online when I'm getting reloading supplies. Their prices are pretty good with shipping included.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I was using a 525 Federal pack and had no issues with either the rifle or the H&R revolver. The next box I bought was the 550 Remington pack...no issues with the rifle but the cylinder won't turn on the revolver after firing the first shot. For right now I'm assuming its the the ammo...will know for sure when I get another box of the Federal.
    Just an update....

It's not a Remington box that i'm having the above issue with...it's a Winchester box...

but haven't been back to the range to try another brand