Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1A deer

(Erie County)

Default M1A deer

Last Saturday was first day of New York regular season. I was belssed with this 7 point and doe.

Since this was the first year that rifles could be used in this area of the state, I used used my M1A and I must say it was great.

Enjoy the Creation.

NY M1a 2011.jpg

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: M1A deer

Congrats on the successful hunt.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ga65 View Post
    Last Saturday was first day of New York regular season. I was belssed with this 7 point and doe.

Since this was the first year that rifles could be used in this area of the state, I used used my M1A and I must say it was great.

Enjoy the Creation.

NY M1a 2011.jpg
    Thats great, im originally from NYS about a hour south of Buffalo and I was so disappointed I could not use any of my semi autos to hunt down here in PA...even if limited to 5 rounds....I ended up trading them all off/selling them when i got down here to PA...Honestly I dont even hunt in PA anymore because of 1 thing...No Sunday hunting ...I still get my NY license and hunt in NY because with me and my weekends off I can hunt 2X as much Sat and Sun VS just Sat in PA. Ive not hunted anything in PA except Groundhog shooting with the kid for over 10 years now.

(Luzerne County)

I think i might look into getting a new york liscense and hunting up there next year

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
    I think i might look into getting a new york liscense and hunting up there next year
    Its pretty good. especially if you have weekends off like me...I can hunt 2 X as much in NY as PA. Thats what sold getting the NY license to me over hunting in PA..more expensive License but 2 X MORE hunting time.

(Luzerne County)

I would really like to hunt in New York next year but i dont know any of their game laws and their public lands to hunt.I would plan to rent a hotel room since im not that close to the pa/ny border.

What are the differences in the the ny game laws compared to the pa game laws?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
    I would really like to hunt in New York next year but i dont know any of their game laws and their public lands to hunt.I would plan to rent a hotel room since im not that close to the pa/ny border.

What are the differences in the the ny game laws compared to the pa game laws?
    Not a ton. You have to make sure where your hunting is Rifle legal..most of it is now but certain places are not...this just changed in the last 5 years or so before that MOST of NYS was shotgun only. Semi Autos I believe can hold no more than 6 rounds in a clip/magazine. you can actually hunt Sundays . There are really not any such thing in NYS as "state game lands" good part is though (at least where im from) property isnt posted every square inch like in PA and people are more than willing to let you hunt especially farmers...which I noticed was almost the opposite of PA. I dont THINK you have to wear Orange(at least you didnt used to have to).

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html

It is illegal to hunt with:
    an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);

(Erie County)

The area of NY we hunt is mostly posted, there are state lands open to hunting. Tresspassing is looked down upon and fines are handed out easily.

Hunter Ed card is required for a license and an archery class is required to hunt archery in NY.

Non residents can not have hand gun with out a permit,

There is less hunting preasure is alot less than PA.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks Guys.I would like to hunt as close to the ny/pa border as possible because its about an hour ride for me.I would be taking I-81 north the whole way up.So I would be looking for land between the border and Binghampton.Do you guys know of any property i would be able to hunt there?I dont mind the ride and would probally get a hotel room and hunt both days the first weekend.So i would have to take the Ny hunter safety test even though i have taken and passed the PA one?

(Lancaster County)

That people hunt in NY should tell the PGC to get their act together and make things more accommodating--if NY can get things right that should be like a hot iron on their butt to be at least as good if not better.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast