Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: The perfect survivalist rifle.....

As much as I love 10/22's this is why I have a few AR-15s, or FALs or Cetme's, shotguns, or any of the pistols.

I use the 10/22 or targets, I have other stuff for other purposes.

(Perry County)

The original poster led us to a video, as has been mentioned the "expert" used very unsafe firearms handling techniques. Despite his having two trailers, he does not seem to me to be the most unimpeachable authority on survival. He specifically mentions Katrina like survival situations. It is my belief that the main danger in the aftermath of Katrina were two legged predators, I don't consider the .22 to be an optimal anti-personnel weapon. Also, post Katrina Gators & snakes were something of a problem, again the .22 is far from adequate. A shot gun would be spectacularly better for all of the above threats, given the variety of ammo available.

Where the .22 would shine is in a long term "live off the land" scenario. Here the reliability and accuracy are more important than volume of fire. A bolt action might be better than a semi auto.

In a breakdown of society as we know it, with roving bands of looters, etc. a center fire "assault rifle" seem to be the weapon of choice, backed up with a constantly available handgun. Ak, AR, M1A1, take your pick and stock up on ammo.

So depending on the scenario one needs at least 4 different types of firearm and probably spares for each. A .22 would be one key element in some survival situations. A shot gun with a wide variety of ammunition (also both a rifled and multi choked smooth bore barrels) would be ideal in others. In a real SHTF situation, where multiple threats engagable at long distances are expected, nothing reaches out and keeps the scum at bay like a center fire semi auto, (well a Marine Expeditionary Force would).

However, the most likely survival situation one is currently likely to face is street violence; and a concealed handgun is the most practical tool tfor that threat.

(Blair County)

The main reason 22lr isnt used defensively is unreliabilty, not lack of power. Rimfires are more likely to misfire then a centerfire case.

Survival situation I would still pick an AR. If it gets to the point that I am having to survive by killing rabbits ans such for dinner every night then TSHF already and ammo prices wont matter because money will be worthless and everyone will be sold out and closed. I cant see any situation that I have to survive and stores are still being restocked by truck.

Zombies....some .308 version AR, and a benelli m4.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567