Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: The perfect survivalist rifle.....

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    You have never seen a Saiga-12. It's a ak-pattern shotgun that takes 10 round mags or 20 round drums. Lots of easily reloaded firepower.
    I've seen it, and you have a good point. It would be very useful. Classic Arms had 'em until the election. I still can't personally give it top billing over an AK though.

I like the twin barrel Savage idea too.

(Luzerne County)

I like the Springfield M6. I own the .22LR/410 variation. A friend has the 22 Hornet model.
    His is much like the survival rifle that the USAF used to use (maybe still does?).
    It is accurate and simple to operate, even in cold weather with gloves on. The 410 barrel shoots slugs dead on POA at 25 yards.
    No, it's not a battle rifle but it will get food. As has been pointed out, survival may mean small game more frequently than big game, though careful use with either a .410 slug or a .22 will do the job.
    One important aspect, for me, is how much ammo I can carry. A thousand rounds of .22 and 100 .410 shotshells do not take up much room at all and can fairly easily be transported by foot if need be.
    I suspect that in a real pinch, if I'm out of ammo, I'm much more apt to find a few spare .22s somewhere than any centerfire ammo. Another aspect of that little gun that I like is the possibility of turning it into a quasi-muzzleloader with a cut off .410 shell , some BP, shot or ball and some primers. (or a spare .303 Brit case adapted for that purpose).
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; November 30th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Armstrong County)

Who the hell is that dipshit and why would anyone listen to him ? Survival rifle ? What type of survival, Hurricanes ? Black helicopters hovering over your subdivision ? A latin-American incursion financed by Hugo Chavez and Raoul Castro ? Are you shittin' me ? Why would a Ruger 10/22 be a better survival weapon than a pistol ? Oh, because .22 long rifle is known for its stopping power on man-size targets right ? Or is it because it looks so cool wearing that Butler Creek synthetic stock and 30rd polymer mags stacked together. Come on, seriously, think about it.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    Who the hell is that dipshit and why would anyone listen to him ? Survival rifle ? What type of survival, Hurricanes ? Black helicopters hovering over your subdivision ? A latin-American incursion financed by Hugo Chavez and Raoul Castro ? Are you shittin' me ? Why would a Ruger 10/22 be a better survival weapon than a pistol ? Oh, because .22 long rifle is known for its stopping power on man-size targets right ? Or is it because it looks so cool wearing that Butler Creek synthetic stock and 30rd polymer mags stacked together. Come on, seriously, think about it.
    It would be a great survival rifle.

1. You're going to come across more .22 ammunition than anything.
    2. It's light as hell
    3. It's accurate enough to take small game.
    4. It's reliable

Topic is survival, not SHTF.

Every person's needs should be assessed by them based on their skill level and what they perceive as necessary.

Me personally, I would still carry my AR-15 as I have a decent enough reserve of ammo to carry with me (most of it in mags) and it's accurate enough for me to pop a rabbit or something for dinner.

If we were talking SHTF...your points would be valid.

(Westmoreland County)

I think many people here and in the world under estimate the .22lr i spent much of my child hood at gun shows with my father who made and sold custom knives and i worked at VFW much of my life and spent as much time as i could listening and learning to older guys with a hell of a lot more expierence than i may ever have.

I have had more "old timers" tell me about how in the depression there families were kept alive with a .22 one man inparticular owned two guns that where his fathers this man is now 80 and one of my most valued teachers and hunts with me.

his father had this .22 revolver and a .22 rifle. he killed deer and small game to keep his and other families alive doing the great depression.

i also have seen a few people in forensic journals these are real published cases of people killed with a .22lr

as everyone here preaches its all about shot placement!!

remember you can carry at least two or three times as many .22s as .223s at any given time and you can buy .22s for much much cheaper.

my U.S. and canda teacher has a sister who teaches in Alaska he is a hunter and we have become pretty good friends he told me that she sees all the natives up there hunt just about anyhting and everything with .22s mostly because they can't afford anything else his sister has actually witnessed them kill a moose with a marlin .22

Im pretty sure more people die each year from .22 lr than from any other round...in the US at least.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Im pretty sure more people die each year from .22 lr than from any other round...in the US at least.
    i have heard that before i would believe it and i have seen some pictures of some super nasty wounds from a .22lr

Even the .22 shorts are used in pistols by assasins. They are much more quiet, so they don't have to use a silencer with them.

(Blair County)

Not disagreeing with anything here, but there are a couple of things that need to be put in perspective.

A large number of fatalities do indeed result from .22 LR wounds. One of the primary reasons for this is not the catastrophic damage done by the bullet itself, but because of infection. Centerfire bullets tend to be relatively clean, while .22 LR bullets are lubricated from the factory, which tends to pick up all sorts of grunge along the way, which tends to create a (relatively) dirty wound. Which, in turn, leads to rapid infection and gangrene.

Regarding the assassination thing, I've also seen documentation of this. However, it generally occurred at contact distances.

A .22LR may well be the best option, but throwing out "lots of people are killed by it," and "it's been used in assassinations," without any qualification or additional information is a bit misleading.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Not long ago I heard a story that a elephant was killed with .22lr. Shot it in the lungs. He was intending to pop it to get it to come out so the other guy could hit it... but the .22 killed it.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ep...-22-long-rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff4570 View Post
    I think many people here and in the world under estimate the .22lr i spent much of my child hood at gun shows with my father who made and sold custom knives and i worked at VFW much of my life and spent as much time as i could listening and learning to older guys with a hell of a lot more expierence than i may ever have.

I have had more "old timers" tell me about how in the depression there families were kept alive with a .22 one man inparticular owned two guns that where his fathers this man is now 80 and one of my most valued teachers and hunts with me.

his father had this .22 revolver and a .22 rifle. he killed deer and small game to keep his and other families alive doing the great depression.

i also have seen a few people in forensic journals these are real published cases of people killed with a .22lr

as everyone here preaches its all about shot placement!!

remember you can carry at least two or three times as many .22s as .223s at any given time and you can buy .22s for much much cheaper.

my U.S. and canda teacher has a sister who teaches in Alaska he is a hunter and we have become pretty good friends he told me that she sees all the natives up there hunt just about anyhting and everything with .22s mostly because they can't afford anything else his sister has actually witnessed them kill a moose with a marlin .22
    Last edited by archangel689; December 12th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast